1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phase 6 Phonics - Any advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Monkey Hanger, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Hi All,
    I'm posting this again - as I posted this thread in the wrong forum silly me!

I really need some help. I've got a phase 6 phonics group and really need to challenge them as they're the MA children in our year 2 group. Trouble is I'm running out of ways to do this.
    I'm currently using the LCP phonics planning - but I'm worried this is getting too repetitive for them.
    So does anyone have any ideas I can try with this group of children - which will challenge them.
    Any suggestions will be great!
    Thanks ;@)

2. Any one else have any other suggestions I may be able to use?

3. Have you seen the Alphabetic Code Overview Charts in the free unit 1 section on www.phonicsinternational.com . You don't need to register.
    See the graphemes on the chart and for each grapheme (but not double consonant like 'nn', 'mm' etc), there is a Sounds Book Activity Sheet with a cumulative word bank which involves reading, writing and spelling routines - and then there is a story theme (one side of A4 for each grapheme) for grapheme searches, reading/comprehension (questions included) which can also be used for self-dictation or dictation. There is a full colour picture to match each story theme - which matches each grapheme - and which turns each story theme into a mnemonic system for remembering spelling word banks. There is a further resource with a black and white version of the theme's picture which includes word lists. The later word lists are spelling word banks to be recalled. These word banks can be made memorable through the story theme but also by acting out the various words in the word banks and then partners recalling those words.
    This might sound garbled but it isn't when you review the programme and see how it comes together!

4. Thanks for that site Debbie - I think it's going to be a big help! [​IMG]

5. Any one got any other ideas I could use?
    hoping to get a range of ideas so the sessions aren't boring [​IMG]

6. Why is Phase 6 so **** with resources?
    Phases 1-5 have loads of nice resources to use - phase 6 what do you get? F*** all thats what!
    Hate phonics...[​IMG]

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

8. Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! [​IMG]

9. Msz

10. Really....Msz.....you surprise me that this is your recommendation. LOL!

11. Phase 6 teaching should be taught from the outset of teaching phonics for reading and spelling - during phases 2 through 5.
    The implication by putting the spelling conventions in a phase after the other phases is that it is a follow-on phase - which I suggest it should not be.

12. Msz

I agree Debbie the phases are a nonsense

13. Msz

My class love Past Tense Penguins [​IMG]