1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phase 5 L&S y/ey grapheme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Wotworklifebalance, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Without this turning into yet another debate on how some people are rubbish at teaching phonics and how the world would be a much better place if we all worshipped at the altar of the Rose report... this week I am revising the ee phoneme with my not very able (or not very well taught, I'll put that in for those who believe that "quality first" phonics teaching will ensure that no child is unable to read or spell) children.
    As a reasonably good speller I don't know of any rule for whether it is y or ey (or indeed ee as in tree) at the end of a word and if I wasn't sure would rely on trial and error (best bet) and a dictionary. Is there a rule that I've forgotten/was never taught?
    Thanks.

2. As I have explained at http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com[/b]
    <u>--y</u> &ndash; (baby, boldly) &ndash; Hundreds of words use
    --y for an unstressed final ee-sound,
    except:
    Abbey, alley, attorney, bogey, chimney, chutney, cockney, covey, donkey, hockey, holey, honey, Jersey, jockey, journey, kidney, medley, money, monkey, parsley, pulley, story/storey, trolley, turkey, valley, volley, whisky/whiskey (US).
    Brownie, budgie, caddie, collie, cookie, eerie, genie, movie, pixie, prairie, wheelie.

There is no logic of any kind to the exceptions.
    They are simply exceptions which children have to memorise.

3. Twenty four of them could easily shed their surplus <e>:
    Abby, ally, attorny, bogy, chimny, chutny, cockny, covy, donky, hocky, holy, Jersy, jocky, journy, kidny, medly, monky, parsly, pully, story, trolly, turky, vally, volly.
    Another 11 would be better with -y endings too:
    Browny, budgy, caddy, colly, cooky, eery, geny, movy, pixy, prairy, wheely.
    And &lsquo;honey' and 'money&rsquo; would be easier to read and spell as &lsquo;hunny' and 'munny&rsquo; (like &lsquo;funny, bunny&rsquo;).
    Why can't they be changed?

4. What an unpleasant opener to your request.
    You well deserve the mashering you are getting[​IMG]

5. So that's your new term for any listing of words which have spelling quirks which need word-by-word memorisation?

6. For a start many of these look as if they've come from American English, so maybe that is the logic here. There aren't many of them, so I wouldn't make too much of this particular way of spelling this sound, except in the context of plurals of words ending in "y" (baby - babies), where the letter before y is a consonant.

7. Surely moovey and geeney Lol.

8. Or jeeny and moovy.

9. If we are going to re-write the English language can I be on the committee? I'd really enjoy myself.

10. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Sorry to have offended.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

ey is less common and is rare in one sylable words - key ???

12. The language is great, but its spelling is terrible. And that has nothing to do with influences from other languages.
    Changing, for example, 'glorie/ glories' to 'glory / glories' suggests nothing but a desire to make learning to read andf write harder.
    The 1611 bible still had many spellings which were more sensible than current ones:
    e.g. erly, erth, sepulcre, beleeved, doun.

13. I am quite sure that our forbears are sitting on their fluffy clouds p*ssing themselves with laughter at the deliberate mess they made of English spelling and our pathetic efforts to master it.

14. Perhaps. But the chief perpetrators should really all be burning in hell.

15. Note to self - never ask a simple phonics question on here....................

16. Especially if you are going to preface it with snide comments.

But please note, no arguments about phonics on the thread and the question was answered in a perfectly civilised fashion.

It's just that when mad masha starts going on about those naughty old words which don't follow the rules, and our wicked and twisted ancestors (ours, note, not hers) who deliberately b*ggered up the spelling system, I can't keep my fingers still.( [​IMG] with laughter...)