1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

phase 3 phonics teaching 'oo'

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by minilady, Feb 17, 2012.

1. hi
    am planning for next week and wondered the best way to approach this digraph
    do you teach both pronounciations in one session (eg food / foot) or do you cover in two sessions
    many thanks

2. I would introduce the two possibly sounds for 'oo' showing a simple flashcard 'oo' and talking about the different sounds and the shapes and position made by the mouth when uttering them. I would talk about how if you put the two sounds together, short followed by long, it is similar to the sound you make when you make a mistake, and I would have a bit of a game and joke, demonstrating this. I would then would write, blend and discuss two words that demonstrate the two sounds for 'oo'', eg moon and look. I would say a few other words which contain 'oo' and decide,, with the children, which sound they demonstrate, writing them on the board in two lists. I would invite children to think of some examples, suggesting they think of rhyming words and supporting them as necessary. I would finish by reading the lists and then reviewing the two possibles for 'oo' showing the flashcards and reminding them of the 'mistake' expression. I would revisit the two sounds by showing the flashcards on a regular basis and inviting the children to say the sounds. I would use words containing 'oo'' when practising blending etc.