1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phase 3 phonics -Interview Help!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by pottyparrot, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I have an interview for a year 1 post, but they have asked me to prepare to teach phase 3 phonics (children are on to diagraphs) for the reception class.
    I am just starting my year 1 placement next week (where I will be learning about how to teach phonics and putting into practice), so although this is where I want to be, I haven't had much experience in KS1 or reception yet, as my first 2 placements were KS2. So I don't know where to start with this.
    Can anyone help? Or guide me to somewhere to get an idea of what I should be doing?
    I don't want to loose out on a job because of bad timing- in a few weeks time when i've been in ks1 for a bit I probably would have been fine.

2. I have an interview for a year 1 post, but they have asked me to prepare to teach phase 3 phonics (children are on to diagraphs) for the reception class.
    I am just starting my year 1 placement next week (where I will be learning about how to teach phonics and putting into practice), so although this is where I want to be, I haven't had much experience in KS1 or reception yet, as my first 2 placements were KS2. So I don't know where to start with this.
    Can anyone help? Or guide me to somewhere to get an idea of what I should be doing?
    I don't want to loose out on a job because of bad timing- in a few weeks time when i've been in ks1 for a bit I probably would have been fine.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would probably go with a game to practise the sounds 'ch', 'sh', 'th'. I say this because, if you don't know which sounds they have already learned, you don't want to go in prepared to teach a new sound that they may already know, or practise one they haven't learned yet. Those three sounds are among the first digraphs they learn and can usually do with more practise (I am practising these with my Year 1s at the moment!).