1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

phase 2 in Nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LizzieTish, Nov 25, 2015.

1. LizzieTish

LizzieTish New commenter

Hi, I'm an experienced Nursery teacher in a Primary school. My children attend for 2 and a half days per week. We have 20 children and I have a TA. The Literacy Co ordinator is pushing for me to teach phase 2 phonics Asap ( or SATPIN as she calls it!). Our children come in with low levels in attention, listening, speaking and prior experiences. Has anyone else been forced to do this? I feel that good quality phase 1 experiences are more important at this stage, but I understand the 'push' for raising standards. Any advice/ comments welcome!

2. lovecats10

lovecats10 New commenter

I totally see your viewpoint and would be inclined to agree with good quality phase 1 experiences at this stafe. However we certainly have children in our Nursery who are ready for phonics and enjoy it. Could you group children and continue with phase 1 experiences for those who need it and challenge others by beginning to teach them phase 2? It might be that some children are ready for it. You can always assess the impact after giving it a go. Our children also have similar low levels in attention and listening etc but there are a number of them who show readiness for more challenge.

3. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Agree with @lovecats10 that Phase 1 should be secure, however at my last nursery we began slowly teaching SATPIN (forced, the same as you) but to my surprise they loved it. It was only a short 5-10 minute session and all week we focused on that letter, however it was more the sounds of it and recognising the letter through lots of fun, interactive and appropriate activities than writing the letters.

We did lots of 'can you find the animal whose name begins with an S?' Then lots of SSSSSSSsssnake. We used the Jolly Phonics clips off YouTube (lifesavers!) and showed the Alphablocks clips for the appropriate letter (also YouTube) before dinner. We taught them the Jolly Phonics songs and actions and always had a practical object related to the letter (snake, apple, train etc).

At the end of the SATPIN phase we simply moved back to S however this time focused on the shape and formation, having the children practice drawing over lots of laminated letters, writing the S in the shaving foam, making the letter out of spaghetti and playdough, using the big paintbrushes to paint the letters on the floor outside (this was great as they didn't sit for very long due to low levels of attention - they didn't see this as learning whatsoever).

We would do circle games like Duck Duck Goose outside however the child would have to say 'S' if that was the weekly letter instead of 'Goose'. We tried to take a lot of what they already loved to do when we started our planning. I remember one activity we hid printed out pictures of a penguin behind one of the outdoor areas, and then placed pictures of other animals for them to find. The child who brought back an animal beginning with P won a prize, they all ran off hunting down these animals and we got some great quotes about the initial letters of animals and they practiced the "p-p-p-p" over and over again. Don't let the low levels of attention be a downfall, observe their games/play and see if you can adapt any to include the practice/recognition of one of the SATPIN letters. You also don't need to do it in the SATPIN order, you could save S for the week before christmas and have S as Santa! :)

4. LizzieTish

LizzieTish New commenter

Thankyou for your responses! I love these ideas! I guess I was thinking of teaching phase 2 in terms of the more 'traditional' way of introducing a sound per day, writing it, using it in words, building words with known sounds etc. and I know my children (even the most eager to learn sounds) don't yet have the pen skills to cope with this! Your ideas seem a lot more geared towards my idea of active Nursery provision. I've got a good starting point now, I feel enthused, and I'm ready to give it a try! Many thanks for your support.

missrturner likes this.
  5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You can cover sounds through Phase 1 activities. When I taught mixed Nursery and Reception, we played lots of alliteration games (Phase 1) that matched whichever sound we were focusing from Phase 2. So if we were doing /s/ then we might make some silly soup by adding objects to the pot that begin with /s/. And we did lots of writing letters in the air (sometimes using ribbons or scarves to make it more fun) - good gross motor practice in preparation for writing on paper later.

missrturner likes this.
  6. missrturner

Expanding on @Kartoshka's point about the ribbons, we did this also. I don't think any of our children actually ever sat down with a pen and paper during the phonics. We used these as starters, especially to music. Letting the children pick the song too helps with attention. We practiced Shonette Bason's disco dough (fantastic, look her up) and had them moving around with ribbons or pom poms to form the letters.

The only time our children ever really sat with a pen and paper was at the literacy table where we had lots of different variations of that letter out for them to practice (little magnet letters, foam letters, large cut outs etc) and those who wanted to could sit down and write the letter.

Introducing SATPIN also works great alongside continuous provision, you can leave task cards by the sand area asking children to write S in the sand etc, at the art table you can cut out lots of different S's from magazines or newspapers and have the children create collages with that letter. Embrace it, and the children will too. In our weekly newsletter to parents we also suggested activities and ideas that they could do with children in the home, i.e how many things they can find beginning with S in their bedroom - can they spot P on their way to nursery? The home input was beneficial for those with little concentration as they were getting reinforcements at home. Best of luck, @LizzieTish :)

7. missrturner

I also found that I was able to plan for additional letters (Phase 2 Set 2) with my more able children after a while. Albeit only ever sparingly (perhaps adding M for example alongside the revisit of S) through the use of next steps and working on this with the child throughout their child-initiated play and with parental help.

8. salus123

salus123 New commenter

is SATPIN different to read write inc that starts with /m/? what's the difference?

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

SATPIN are the first six sounds in a number of phonics schemes, including 'Letters and Sounds' (which is used by many primary schools). Read Write Inc is a different phonics scheme that introduces the sounds in a different order. There are, of course, differences between the schemes, but essentially they teach the same skills to the children, so which a school uses is just a matter of preference.