1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phase 2 in Nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Shabas, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Just wondering what the consensus of opinion is with starting this? I have a group of 4/5 children (autumn birthday) who i feel would benefit from learning more letter sounds and being shown correct formation in a small group situation.I am planning 10 mins daily 'phonics' session just for these children. I know others feel you should not even consider phase 2 until Reception class - any words of wisdom? Thanks

2. Just wondering what the consensus of opinion is with starting this? I have a group of 4/5 children (autumn birthday) who i feel would benefit from learning more letter sounds and being shown correct formation in a small group situation.I am planning 10 mins daily 'phonics' session just for these children. I know others feel you should not even consider phase 2 until Reception class - any words of wisdom? Thanks

3. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Around Christmas time, I had 3 nursery children who used to wander over and sit on the carpet during phonic sessions with reception. They picked up a few sounds and songs and now, since they still come daily, I have included them in the sessions. They now know most of the phase 2 sounds and the phase 3 sounds we have learned so far. I haven't pushed them, and haven't expected them to do the cursive formation practice reception do, but they can identify which words I'm segmenting and find the correct cvc picture to match. If they wanted to stop joining in, that's fine since they'll be able to catch the sounds and activities next year with the rest of their cohort if necessary.
    I reckon that if they are ready, they are ready. Good on you for including them. Age should not be a barrier to learning

4. Thanks for your words of encouragement, i should stop doubting myself!!

5. Having said that, the FS leader is not happy with us doing this. Now i have to argue my corner, how ridiculous!! I could stop doing it and put a cap on their learning, what do i know - only the children in my class!

6. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Tell him/her that if ofsted came in and discovered that you were not letting your children progress with their learning simply because of their age, you would be in bother. We had a Mocksted last week (SIP and top ofsted inspector doing a mock inspection) and that was one of the strengths of our unit - that nursery and reception were not separated for learning. N joined R when appropriate and vice versa.
    They told us that this was exactly what ofsted are looking for PROGRESS

7. I am glad you said that! Apparently she was not happy with the children using whiteboards - but that won't happen every lesson! We all know about mark making in the sand, shaving foam etc. I only started this select group of children on phase 2 because every time they wanted to write, they kept saying, "but i don't know what that letter looks like!" - sorry children i can't teach you that, you will have to wait until you are in reception! I DON'T THINK SO!!

8. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Hi, I also have a group of 5 children in my Nursery who are ready for P2. We have been doing P1 from september, and they are excellent at oral blending and segmenting and can hear all sounds within words... So after half term i am strting P2. SLT are very happy for me to do this, as long as letter formation is enforced alongside, which we all know anyways.

But, i agree. We have lots of interventions in place for those children with SEN or slower developing children but in most schools the same empasis is not given to those children who need the opportunity to be stretched- Personalised learning. That's what OFSTED are looking for! So, go for it with P2!!