1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phase 1 phonics

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lynnclarke06, Dec 18, 2018.

1. lynnclarke06

lynnclarke06 New commenter

Any ideas on phase 1 phonics?
    In terms of exciting activities but also in terms of what should be taught across a year, time scale, what aspects when and so on,
    As an experienced Reception teacher new to Nursery this is something of a mystery to me!
    Grateful for any thoughts.
    thanks

2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Let the children listen to lots and lots of rhyming poetry, but after listening, read it out yourself and stop at the rhyming words and even if you have to mouth the first letter, let them try. If they learn a poem off by heart, when they actually come to reading it, they will see that words such as 'laugh' and 'giraffe' and 'so and 'though' and 'grow' may sound alike, but they will certainly remember that in English not all sounds have the same spellings. Rhyming poetry will help them develop phonemic awareness, a key ingredient for reading and writing.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

You can still access the phase one letters and sounds pack which has ideas for each aspect that you can then develop and add to.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-quality-phonics-phase-one-teaching-programme

We recommend looking at aspect 7, oral blending and segmenting in the summer term before reception, but the others rotating around the different aspects ie you don't do aspect one then move on to aspect two as they are not hierarchical in that sense. I would also recommend you introduce the resources to children then leave them available for free play during the week so they can revisit the activity.

There are plenty of resources online if you do a search.

4. jfield

jfield New commenter

I find sound discrimination still very important by which I mean distinguishing between a helicopter and aeroplane, or between a tambourine and a shaker, not just between /s/ and /t/ ! We play "What's in the Box?" using different musical instruments for example. (Although one member of SLT was convinced I was delivering a music lesson not phonics when they observed me!)
    There are also some inexpensive Sounds Like Lotto games on the market which focus on sound discrimination in household items, environmental or animal sounds.
    And the rhyming, as mentioned before is so important. We make up new words to familiar rhymes...
    Humpty Dumpty fell of a chair, Humpty Dumpty hurt his ??? for example. To start with we will point to our hair but the children soon get the hand of it.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Lots of noise and sound making, as well as listening to all kinds of sounds.
    Find lots of opaque bottles and make pairs of shakers. Can the children find the matching pairs?
    Play games where children can't see who is speaking, but has to guess from their voice.
    Use alliteration often...as much, if not more than rhyming.
    Play silly soup where children find objects starting with the same sound...worry not about spelling. Socks, sweets, circles, etc.
    Go for lots of walks and listen for sounds...just around the school grounds is fine.

And, as someone else has said, lots of ideas in Letters and Sounds...I've used it heaps over the last term, also being new to nursery this year.
    My class are only just beginning to get the idea of rhyming, certainly not up to creating their own yet.