1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

phase 1 phonics

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by micketh, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Hi.
    Just wondered how different individuals approached planning and deployment of phase 1 letters and sounds within FS1. How many sessions a week do you plan for within FS1? Are there any good links with examples of good planning and resourcing?

Thanks for your time.

2. Hi
    I normally do at least 1 Phase 1 activity per day with small groups of children as they start to come in on their staggered entry (not normally first day but pretty much soon after that) If the children are confident I sometimes do a couple a day and also leave activities out in CP for them to do indpendently.
    Most children should be coming in with some experience of P1 if the nurseries have been following it anyway.
    After a couple of weeks I tend to do a simple assessment to see if the children can orally blend and segment (have a range of objects out and ask them to point to the c-u-p, or if they are confident give them a picture/object and see if they can chop the word up into sounds) if they are fairly confident with this then they are ready to move onto P2.
    We use phonicsplay.com for IWB activities which are quite good (but more so for P2+) and there are lots of ideas for games in the Letters and sounds document too.
    x

3. Thank you.

Was thinking about using the LCP phonics resource file too. Has anyone had any experience of this?

I know it depends on the individual children, but roughly, with what time scale would you expect to move to phase 2 (after how many weeks following staggered entry)?

Phase 1 is a continuous phase if I am right, that would continue discretely throughout FS1 and 2?

Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

4. Any ideas...

5. I teach phase 2 from day 1 even when they are part-time alongside phase 1 throughout. If you don't it is doubtful that you can progress to phase 3 by Jan. I have done this for the past 2 years and the majority of the children storm ahead. Good luck!

6. Yeah we continue P1 alongside P2 and even into P3 for the children who still need it. Personally I like to start them all off with P1 activities so I can clearly see what level they are up to and then split them into differentiated groups after about 2 weeks. It should be quite obvious which children are ready to move onto P2. Quite often we will introduce P2 sounds as a whole class but then split off into groups for activities so that the children who are not quite confident with blending and segmenting can still have the opportunity to be introduced to the sounds, as quite often they will pick them up makng it easier when you do come to teach them how to blend and segment with them if that makes sense?
    We have got the LCP files too but I did find that these rush through quite quickly - although they are good for ideas and games. I suppose it is finding what works best for you and your school. I have found following the Letters and Sounds to be the best alongside the Jolly Phonics for teachiing the actions but thats just my opinion. I know the Y1 teacher really likes the phonics.play planning but I find this very limited on the writing opportunities so had to keep adding my own extra bits so I have reverted back to usign L+S.
    x

7. Just a little pointer: Phase One is not a pre-requisite to starting Phase Two.

8. I agree Debbie - they are activities you would normally do anyway I think

9. I agree that all the language play and sounds work is part of good pre-school provision.
    My thoughts, nowadays, are to introduce both upper and lower case letter shapes - making the links between the upper and lower case letter pairs and the sounds they are code for. This does not need to be systematic or pacey - just natural links to raise awareness or build on awareness.
    Any modelling or provision of letter names can be with a capital letter at the beginning and lower case letters otherwise.
    Even ability to orally blend and segment is not a pre-requisite to starting a systematic, synthetic phonics programme.