1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pH meters, recommendations

Discussion in 'Science' started by bogstandardcomp, Jul 4, 2011.

1. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

We need to buy some pH meters for our A Level course, any recommendations, price, robustness etc.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm not sure there's much in it. We're needing to get some and planning to try the ones with replaceable electrodes.

P

3. Try Cleapss guide R35 pH Measurement.

4. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

Anyone else??

5. Hach and Mettler produce excellent pH meters that will last a long time. Genway and Eutech produce awful pH meters that will break within a couple of months of use.
    I'd highly recommend having a look on the Cole-Parmer website who gave us an excellent deal on our pH meter:
    http://www.coleparmer.co.uk/products/phmeters/ph_meters_control.asp
    Hach and Mettler are expensive though and I bought pH meters whilst working in research labs so price was no problem.
    I would recommend you also speak to a rep of the company you are buying from, that can add in a pH probe for free on top of the price you have already found.

6. Mettler is Mettler Toledo by the way.
    I realise these may be slightly higher priced than what you are after.
    If you have any friends in research in a local university they may well be able to locate a couple of no longer required pH meters that work perfectly well.

7. Ok, the first two responses were probably silly as those will be way over budget. I've now checked what we use for undergraduate students. Jenway 3305 and 3310 (or later models) are robust, easy to use and will generally only have a problem if you let the probe dry out.
    Importantly there are 11 UK suppliers http://www.jenway.com/where.asp?fr=3. Again, speak to a rep, especially if you are buying several. Prices will probably vary significantly between suppliers and you are probably at the right time of year for getting ex-display stock on sale.