1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGL Windmill Hill vs Kingswood Grosvenor Hall

Discussion in 'School trips' started by MrsPM, Mar 23, 2012.

1. I work in the office of a small primary school in East Sussex.
    I have just had an interesting conversation with the local rep for Kingswood regarding offers that they currently have on for their Grosvenor Hall Centre in Kent, and I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts or feedback on this as it sounds too good to be true!
    We are due to send our Y6's away to PGL Windmill Hill in June this year which is something that we have always done. It has been a rather late booking and we have yet to pay the full balance. I received a call from a lady at Kingswood who said that she could offer us the same dates at Grosvenor Hall for £200 less per student. It turns out that they receive more activities, the bedding is included and after looking on the website the centre looks lovely.
    I have never had a problem with PGL, however the cost is becoming a big worry and parents just cant manage it. So, we are seriously considering changing to Kingswood. The lady I spoke to has offered to come in and speak to the parents which will help us a lot and I know that the cost saving will encourage more children to attend.
    Does anyone have any feedback on Grosvenor Hall? Like I say, it sounds like such a good deal that I am a bit wary. Of course if all goes well I will be booking as it really will help our parents out. If anyone has visited the centre and can assure me that it is a nice as it looks on the website I would really appreciate it.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It looks like Grosvenor Hall might be brand new - hence the cheap deal and still available. It might be worth trying to find out how much they charge at their other centres. Otherwise you might find that next year it costs more than PGL, who might be less keen on taking a booking from you if you've pulled out this year...

3. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

PGL is getting expensive. Company wise they were recently acquired by Holidaybreak,who own Eurocamp and Keycamp. Wouldn't be surprised to see them suffer over next few years - I think Kingswood have highlighted the 'Year 6' market well and made it a reasonable cost, although I would still prefer a private run, family based centre any time.

4. Thank you for your comments on PGL Vs Kingswood.
    My school did end up booking Kingswood and I have to say that we were over the moon with our decision to give it a go. More children then ever were able to take part as it was so much cheaper, and the centre was amazing. After speaking to Kingswood over the price and questioning how they can offer it so cheap, they told me that they own their own centres (which PGL do not) and they put more importance on children being able to participate rather then charging a stupid amount and pricing more children out of the opportunity.
    We have booked again for next year, and although I hope this forces PGL to reduce their costs, I can honestly say that we wont look back and consider changing back to PGL.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have just got back from the Old Vicarage Activity centre in Shropshire. Possibly a bit far for you but it is a family owned and run independent busines. They do all the usual stuff 9canoes, abseil, zip wire, oenteering, tunnels, archery, rifles. high ropes, In addition you can, at extra cost, do horses (we do those) paintball and quads. They can take 52 kids max in dorms but also offer an under canvas option, fully catered.