1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGDE Primary vs Secondary workload

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by Edi02, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Edi02

Edi02 New commenter

From what I've been hearing the workload between these students on placements is vast. Secondary PGDE's are complaining they are expected to create 13+ lessons a week; along with teaching material; resources etc. Whereas, Primary PGDE are only doing a few lessons a week, and most of the time spent supporting the class teacher. Is the PGDE/PGCE Primary really a much easier choice?. Anyone any experience to shed some light on this?.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It probably varies between schools and universities. I haven't heard of such a clear cut difference.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm not in Scotland so there may well be a difference, but I have a PGCE student in my class ( primary) at the moment. She teaches English and Maths four days ( so 8 lessons) double science, 2 geography lessons a week, RE, two PE lessons a week, four guided reading sessions and a separate grammar/spelling session. She writes her own lesson plans and creates her own resources. This is her second placement and I would say she is pretty busy!

4. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

The primary PGDE course has a much heavier class timetable for the times when you are at university as they have such a wide range of subjects. However, I really don't think the placements are any different in terms of workload (ie both very heavy). My cousin did the primary PGDE at the same time as I did the secondary one (same uni) and our placement experiences were very similar in terms of workload and expectations.