1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGDE Primary Scotland Glasgow Uni 2018 entry

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Anon11752732491357682, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Anon11752732491357682

Anon11752732491357682 New commenter

Hi! Is anyone studying at Glasgow Uni?

I want to prepare myself and get organised early. Can you help by answering these questions please. Please only comment if you are going to be helpful.

1. How many days per week are you at uni and what are typical hours. I know its 18 weeks uni and 18 weeks placement
    2. What types of essays/assignment do you get? Do you have any examples? I graduated in 2011 so its a long time since I studied - eekk!
    3. I am from London so I know in London I would need to compile a portfolio of evidence to get the QTS award. Is there a Scottish equivalent and if so what is it called so I can look into it.
    4. On the topic of portfolios how many leaver arch files would I need to get for the 10 months of study?
    5.Do you have the uni recommended reading list?
    6. I am deciding between Maclay House Residences or one of the UNITE students accommodations - any experience with either?
    7. Where is the school of education located? Which campus?
    8. School placements - can you name a few so I can google the journey.
    9. How do you get around in glasgow? (I am a london city girl) How much is bus travel? Is it regular? How much is the tube? Any travel discounts available?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

In Scotland you won't be working towards QTS but "full registration" with the GTCS. This is done after your PGDE, through the teacher induction scheme. Details are available here . That's for working in Scotland, although Scottish teacher training is widely recognised internationally.
    There's a Scotland forum here where you might get more specific answers about Glasgow. I think you're in university pretty much full time there but someone else will have more information.

Welcome to teaching and to Scotland!
    :D

3. Anon11752732491357682

Anon11752732491357682 New commenter

Thank you so much for replying!

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

If you haven't been to visit I'd suggest , if you can, you spend a long weekend in Glasgow to get a feel for the place and check out public transport etc.
    Check out the primary Scotland forum on here.
    It's been a very long time since I lived up that way. A general google regarding transport should answer some of you questions.