1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGDE Modern Foreign Languages - Degree in only one language, but ability in two.

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by davesmith84, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hello, sorry if this question has been posted before...
    I am considering applying for PGDE in modern languages. I have a degree in Spanish; however I see little point in being qualified to teach only one language. I studied French to Advanced Higher, kept up conversational French while at university and have spen three years living and working in France, Belgium and Switzerland.

As I do not have a degree in French, will that stop me from being able to become qualified in French? Are there 'top-up' courses for people in my position? Or, will institutions accept stand-alone module in French from say the 'Open University' or my local university (in Scotland)?

Any help and advise on this issue would be most appreciated.

2. Hello, sorry if this question has been posted before...
    I am considering applying for PGDE in modern languages. I have a degree in Spanish; however I see little point in being qualified to teach only one language. I studied French to Advanced Higher, kept up conversational French while at university and have spen three years living and working in France, Belgium and Switzerland.

As I do not have a degree in French, will that stop me from being able to become qualified in French? Are there 'top-up' courses for people in my position? Or, will institutions accept stand-alone module in French from say the 'Open University' or my local university (in Scotland)?

Any help and advise on this issue would be most appreciated.

3. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter