1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGDE in Scotland NQT in England - what do I do?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by swalke19, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with this as I can't seem to get a straight answer from TDA, GTC etc?
    I
    have been doing the PGDE Primary Teaching course at Glasgow
    University. Unfortunately I am required to resit one placement and
    therefore I am unable to take up my probationary year post this month as
    I should have been doing. I can still do this beginning next August, and was told I can do supply teaching in Scotland until then (provided I pass resit). However my partner ia currently living in Portsmouth as his job moved him down there and so I am trying to find out if it is possible for me to work down here instead. I know the rules and routes are different in
    England but not really sure how to go about things. I'm registered with the GTCS, I imagine I would need to register with GTCE but I am confused as to what I need to do and what
    options are available to me in England. I think I need to be told step-by-step!! It's all sorted for you in Scotland really, it seems a bit tougher in England.

2. Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with this as I can't seem to get a straight answer from TDA, GTC etc?
    I
    have been doing the PGDE Primary Teaching course at Glasgow
    University. Unfortunately I am required to resit one placement and
    therefore I am unable to take up my probationary year post this month as
    I should have been doing. I can still do this beginning next August, and was told I can do supply teaching in Scotland until then (provided I pass resit). However my partner ia currently living in Portsmouth as his job moved him down there and so I am trying to find out if it is possible for me to work down here instead. I know the rules and routes are different in
    England but not really sure how to go about things. I'm registered with the GTCS, I imagine I would need to register with GTCE but I am confused as to what I need to do and what
    options are available to me in England. I think I need to be told step-by-step!! It's all sorted for you in Scotland really, it seems a bit tougher in England.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

GTCE will register you as an unqualified teacher. Technically an instructor.As you have not passed your course then you are classed as unqualified for the purpose of pay scales. Schools do use teachers without QTS particularly independent schools and those in shortage subject areas. September is a notoriously slow period for supply work as schools have recruited last term for the new academic year. You will also find some local supply agencies will not register you without QTS. A lot will depend upon the local job market and your phase/subjects.