1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGDE Extra Placement

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by LouT88, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Hi, just looking for a bit of advice. I have been doing my PGDE in Primary Teaching for this past year, and was doing really well until my last placement which I have recently finished. I was in a composite P1/2 class. During this placement I really struggled for various reasons and didn't receive much support, and as a result I failed my tutor visit, despite having passed my first two placements well. This means I have to do an extra 'retrieval' placement in August/September instead of starting my probation year. Obviously I was really disappointed with this as i'd really been looking forward to starting in August with my own class, and now won't get to do this until August 2014. My confidence took a real knock during this last placement, with the negative nature of comments from my tutor and teacher, so much so that as much as I love teaching and really want to do it, i'm not sure whether or not I should go back in August for this extra placement as I don't know if i'm capable :(

Just looking for a bit of advice, is there anyone out there who has been in a similar position? I know teaching is what I really want to do but just feel that after last placement I don't know if I can do it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. I was in exactly the same position a few years ago, it turns out it could have been the best thing that could have happened! I did my extra placement at a very supportive school, and passed with no problems at all! I then volunteered in different schools to get extra experience, then joined the supply list. I was really lucky to get full time supply for the summer term, which meant that going into my probationary year, I was used to the hours and workload. After my probationary year I gained full time, permanent employment which I really put down to gaining that extra experience before my probationary year.

Please don't be too downheartened, take it as extra time that will really help you in the long term!

Hope this helps!

3. Hi,

I completely understand your predicament, however I would advise you to go back and complete your placement. Having no support, an awkward teacher etc.. It impacts your thoughts and makes you feel like maybe this isn't for you anymore. That's exactly how I felt when I failed my first placement. The teacher was very unsupportive, she did not like PGDE's which made my time at the school very difficult. In front of heads, she would act like she was helping, however when it actually came to helping she left me on my own. I wanted to quit completing the PGDE course at that time, except my family were amazing and encouraged me not to give up because of one school/teacher. For my second placement, I was a bit skeptical, however went in with a clear and positive attitude and done really, really well. My teacher, school, support staff were all amazing. This allowed me to concentrate, be creative which makes a huge impact on your teaching. When the tutor came out to see my, she was trying so hard to fault me but actually could not because I had amazing support.

In short my advice..... DONT GIVE UP...... not all teachers/schools are the same! I prefer KS1, so if you need any advice or help feel free to email me, and I'll be happy to help.

abirahbari@hotmail.co.uk

4. Hi

Please do your placement and finish. You have had a difficult time but you can get through it with a supportive school and teacher. We have had someone in our school on a retrieval placement and they passed with flying colours.

They went on the supply list and worked pretty much full time until their probation year was starting. They are now in full time employment.

Good luck

Grant2007

5. Thanks for all your comments! Very supportive and the wee extra boost I needed to stay positive. Deep down I know that teaching is what I want to do, and having done well on my other placements I know i'm not a complete failure, it's just so disheartening to fail at the final hurdle! But I know I would end up regretting it if I wasn't to go back and complete the retrieval placement. Thanks again for your encouraging stories!

6. Hi,

I am in exactly the same situation as you. However, I am a secondary student.

I comfortably passed my first 2 placements, but failed my final placement. On my final placement (the same school as my middle placement) I received little support from my mentor and assumed that I was progressing successfully due to not receiving any negative feedback or areas of concern. Then my tutor visited, I had a bad lesson (muck up day contributed to this) and my mentor started raising all these issues with my tutor (I had not been informed of any of them and some of them I didn't agree with).

Anyway, now I am sitting my retrieval placement in 2 weeks time. I am very nervous about this. I have always been quite confident in front of the class but I feel this will not be the case any more. I just remind myself that you can't let one bad experience rule your life though. I am taking this opportunity to show everyone that I can do it and become a good teacher.

I hope this helps you realise that you're not alone - in fact I have heard of lots of similar situations.

7. Ablythe02

Ablythe02 New commenter

Just out of curiosity - how did your retrieval go? I am in the exact same position just now and feeling the same way!

8. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

UNION, UNION, UNION - Be it EIS or SSTA, join a union. they can put the dampeners on whimsical/narcissistic headteachers and PTs.

I was exactly where you are now on my secondary teacher placement - unsupportive school, headteacher that thought all probationers should be "oven ready" and I appealed to the college for mitigating circumstances. I felt defenceless, low, believed the tripe that constituted my feedback from my failed placement when all it boiled down to was that my face simply didn't fit - I wasn't perfect but I was no failure as a teacher.

Please join or consult/ at least make contact with the union rep in your new placement and chat about your case for advice.

Gavster77 likes this.