1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGDE English Aberdeen

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by dunys7, May 12, 2011.

1. Hey
    Im originally from Dundee, but live and work in Aberdeen full time for the past 2 years. Ill be going part time once I start the PGDE Biology.
    I think it will be better for yourself to commute, because you will be in uni only some of the time, And you can be placed in Dundee or surrounding area for school placements. And Aberdeen is an expensive place to live in. But then again, if fancy a change and dont like commuting then moving up is best....

2. I was also wondering if any forum users have previously undertaken the PGDE course and could give me any information regarding timetabling, etc? I just think this information would be of great help in coming to a final decision on whether to move or commute.

3. Hi,
    I'm hoping to study PGDE German at Aberdeen this year. I was looking for some advice too and came across your post.
    I have heard that there are only 2 study days a week but I'm not sure how true this is as I would have expected a bit more! Certainly when I was at my interview only 2 days were mentioned but maybe someone could confirm this.
    I'm coming up from Glasgow so a commute isn't really practical for me! But would anyone be able to recommend places to look for flats? I've had a very quick look online to get a rough idea of whats out there but I don't really know Aberdeen that well.

4. Not sure if this will help, but I am currently on the PGDE Primary at Aberdeen, and whilst not on the Secondary course, the people on all subjects in Secondary that I have met on the course currently normally have 2 days a week.

Everyone is in all day Monday from 10am - about 4.30pm for a shared Primary/Secondary day. This is every week that you are on campus. Then the subjects have different days that they are on. Modern Languages have been in on a Thursday all day this year. Not sure what day English is on, but they are generally in 2 days a week as well (including Monday).

A couple of people commute currently, including someone doing a Seconday subject from Dundee. The university have placed them in Dundee for both schools, but you may need to be prepared to commute for placements. The course itself at uni is commutable, but a lot more difficult on placement as it is a lot more tiring.

Good luck, it's hard work but a lot of fun!!

Mharae - in terms of flats, flats around the university campus are cheaper than in town. Try King Street, Bedford Road or near the beach for places near the uni.

For town, you can walk/get the bus fairly easily from most parts of town. Parking at the uni is an absolute nightmare as a student so if you can avoid driving it makes life a lot easier.

5. Hi there!
    I know this is a bit late but I just wanted to thank you for your help. I've managed to find a flat now and I can either walk or get the bus to uni so it's pretty good. I used to walk to uni in Glasgow all the time so that doesn't bother me and saves me the hassle of driving and trying to find somewhere to park!
    I'm quite excited about getting started now, it won't be long :)

6. Hi Everyone
    I'm doing PGDE Geography at Aberdeen and I'm commuting from Thurso!!! I can confirm that we'll only be on campus for 2 days - which days depend on your subject.
    See everyone soon! :) :)

7. Hey.

My name is Cassie and I'm also going to be on the English PGDE course at Aberdeen in August! I did my English undergrad degree at Aberdeen so I've been living here for 4 years so if you need any questions answered I'll try and help! So far I know that 3 of us from my undergrad course got accepted, and yourself, I wonder how many of us there'll be.
    Have you made up your mind whether to move or not yet? I find it so strange if it's true that we only spend 2 days a week in classes; that really doesn't sound like a lot! :S I'm so excited about starting the course but I'm so nervous!

XX

8. Hi there Cassie,

I have sent you a PM.

9. As far as I'm aware we don't have anything to do, but then again we don't get joining packs until beginning of August!

Yeah I completely feel the same! I'm gonna need to head up to Aberdeen soon so that I can find my way around the city/campus.

Hope you're settling in well :)