1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGDE but can't find a job

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by AK21, Jun 6, 2011.

1. From what I hear in the forums you have to keep looking and maybe volunteer, sent speculative applications, look at the colleges' websites regularly. I have a BA and a Masters in Fine Art and couldn't find anything in collleges so I work in adult education which is fine because I have the freedom to devise my courses as I want and I have good educated people, my learners, who are really interested in art. But I don't want ot spend two more years of study for a Cert Ed post 16. I don't need it. I don't know what to do. I might not be able to work in adult education without it for much longer. I am now 52 so I don't think it will help me in finding other work either. I am a practising artist as well and I might just concentrate on that. It just that I do enjoy the few hours teaching.
    Does anybody know for certain if it is really a legal requirement to have a Cert ed post 16 to teach 5 hours a week vocational courses?

2. Gosh, I'm not sure - it seems a bit silly though!! Sure you'll find out. I suppose its very competitive now and they can choose someone with a qual, so maybe its good to stay in the game? Another idea is doing it as an evening course, they do it at Trafford college - that way it won't disturb your routine 2 much, unlike a full-time course, which takes up all your time and you can continue doing artwork and p/t teaching. Good luck whatever u decide! ;-)