1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

PGDE Adult Literacy: who offers this? in Scotland?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by sprite, Aug 31, 2017.

  1. sprite

    sprite New commenter

    I found a qualification that looks about right for me; several websites for FE career advice discuss it, including Education Scotland. It's the Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (Adult Literacies) (PGDE (AL)) at SCQF level 10, and allows for specialisation in Adult Literacy and ESOL.

    Who offers this? I've only found Brock in England to offer it, and it doesn't seem to be a distance course. I would like to teach ESOL to adults in Scotland, and am finding it very difficult.

    Background: I teach ESL/EFL/acronym du jour, and recently moved to Scotland with my partner. In England, it was very easy for me to find work. Before choosing to go part-time, I was teaching full-time in an independent school at 26K+/pa. Whenever I was looking for work, I usually made shortlist and potential employers were happy with my experience (nearly 20 yrs) and qualifications (CELTA, MA-TESL). When I did go part-time, I was earning 20+/hr at language schools and more than that at the independent school.

    Now in Scotland, there is diddly squat. Without a PGCE/PGDE I can't even get into independent schools, and I feel lucky if I can scrounge 10 hrs a week at language schools--who don't pay much over minimum wage. Whichever avenue I try, I fall just a little short of the methods to qualify for any sort of certificate/qualification that would allow me to work outside language schools. I can't get summer pre-sessional work at the universities, because they don't like the amount of work I've done teaching at the sixth form level (I was told it was teaching young learners!).

    Ok. I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to specialise or go into teacher training. So I'm researching possibilities, but I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.
    There is no PGDE in EAL, and I have no wish to spend 9000 quid and a year teaching English Lit to GCSE kids--no offence to people who do! (I'm not 'settled' in the UK, so will have to pay overseas fees, and won't have access to funding support.) I might be able to get my Spanish or French up to degree level, but again--the cost of the residency won't be covered, making the degree even more expensive.

    i keep finding interesting courses/degrees, but they don't qualify for certification.
    I find courses that DO give certification, but they are either useless to me, or very expensive, or they require me to be teaching somewhere already, or to have a qualified teacher who would critique my work--I don't know anyone well enough to ask this level of support.

    I could cry. I am so tired of spending ages trying to navigate websites and decipher jargon/acronyms, only to discover that yet again, I'm looking at something I can't use or don't qualify for.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

    Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

    I'm confused. Do you want to teach adults or teach in a school?
  3. saluki

    saluki Lead commenter

    Have you got a degree?
  4. sprite

    sprite New commenter

    Just not a specific Education degree.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

    Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

    I'm asking because you would need different qualifications. Nobody offers a PGDE in Adult Literacy because a PGDE qualifies you as a school teacher.

    Most of the EAL teachers I know (in schools) are peripatetic and qualified as either English, MFL or Primary teachers.
  6. sprite

    sprite New commenter

    This is the thing--I can't find anyone offering it, but I have found several places talking about the PGDE in an Adult context. (I originally saw it referenced as part of a career in adult education on a university careers page, but cannot find that link anymore. ugh.)

    It's listed in tables of qualifications here:
    https://www.education.gov.scot/Documents/AdultLiteraciesCPDFramework.pdf (no date for this document?)

    It's listed as a qualification on the SQA website:

    national careers suggests the option of PGDE for teaching adults

    i'm frustrated. this is a good time for me to move in a different or more focused direction, but i keep running into walls.
  7. sprite

    sprite New commenter

    Also, in North America, one can do a B.Ed for different age ranges, including adults. I sort of expected to see something similar on offer here.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

    Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

    The Education Scotland document lists it because it does exist (or has done at some point - the link for the course on the document you posted is not live and it sounds like a trial project from the way it was described) but if you read the detail only 10% of people working in Adult Literacy have it - the Professional Development Award: Introduction to Tutoring in Adult Literacies Learning is far more popular, although it's not a degree level course.

    That's what I was trying to say before - if you want to work with adults there are more appropriate qualifications. If you want to work with children in Scottish schools it would be a PGDE. What's your actual degree in?
  9. calmclellan

    calmclellan New commenter

    Check out the "professional development framework for Scotland’s adult literacies workforce" https://education.gov.scot/Documents/AdultLiteraciesCPDFramework.pdf
    I have the PGDE (Adult Literacies) it was delivered in collaboration with Strathclyde University and Aberdeen. If you are looking to work within the field of Adult Literacies my advice would be to gain The PDA: Supporting Adult Literacies Learning (PDA: SALL) qualification.
  10. saoghalbeag

    saoghalbeag New commenter

    I work in Adult Education in Scotland & the PDA: SALL is your best starting point. My Council offers this qualification free for sessional tutors. Check the Adult Learning team with your local council to see what they offer?

Share This Page