1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGDE 2012

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by sarahg21, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    Just thought I'd let you know what I've found out...
    My
    Mum works in a School and they have a post grad student from Dundee
    just now. When uni phoned the school my mum used the opportunity to fish
    on my behalf lol.
    So basically because they are changing the
    course this year we won't find anything out until they finalise the
    details. The woman said it could be June/July before we hear anything!!
    I
    have briefly spoken to the postgrad from this year at the school and am
    meeting her again later this week but she has given me her book list, I
    plan on starting to buy books now so that once I give up work for uni I
    don't have a load of books to buy!! If any of you would like
    suggestions let me know.
    Hope this helps a little!
    Sarah x

2. Hi all,
    Just thought I'd let you know what I've found out...
    My
    Mum works in a School and they have a post grad student from Dundee
    just now. When uni phoned the school my mum used the opportunity to fish
    on my behalf lol.
    So basically because they are changing the
    course this year we won't find anything out until they finalise the
    details. The woman said it could be June/July before we hear anything!!
    I
    have briefly spoken to the postgrad from this year at the school and am
    meeting her again later this week but she has given me her book list, I
    plan on starting to buy books now so that once I give up work for uni I
    don't have a load of books to buy!! If any of you would like
    suggestions let me know.
    Hope this helps a little!
    Sarah x

3. Hiya,
    Soo excited to have been accepted to the post grad :) can't wait to get started! I'm from Fife so I don't know if there are any other Fifers out there that have been accepted!!
    I spoke to the people that interviewed my about the changes and in my head sounds better. I'm not sure if you know this already but the plan was to change the placements slots - so it would be 9 weeks uni then 9 weeks placement and the same again after christmas.
    I quite interested in buying some books for some 'light reading' over the summer lol, so if you can pop up a few on here that would be great.
    Thanks,
    Nic x

4. If changing the block length is the only changes then that's not too bad.
    I'm also traveling to dundee and live in Kirkcaldy can't wait to get started now x

5. I'm from Fife too! Dalgety Bay to be more specific. I've just finished my volunteering placement at the local primary school and am looking to work until the course starts so that I have money to pay for travel costs lol.

I know someone on the course currently and she recommended two books to get started: 'Learning to Teach in the Primary School' by James Arthur and Teresa Cremin, and 'Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers' by Derek Haylock. Although the course is changing this year these were the two main textbooks and it looks like they're the main ones used in other unis too according to reviews. I'll be interested to see how the course is going to change. The change in placements seems like a good idea. I hope we get some information soon. I'm itching to get myself sorted and ready to start.

I am wondering though. I was on the SAAS website and I remember before applying that the PGDE was one of the courses that they paid the fees for. Now however there are notices that the postgrad fees have changed. I read though the new notice but I couldn't figure out if the changes are affecting all postgrad courses in that we will now get a loan or something to cover the fees and then have to pay them back (if I remember correctly) or if that only applied to courses not covered by SAAS. The information seemed a little vague as all the original info was still up too! Anyone got any insight into this?

6. Hey Guys!

I also got into the PGDE Primary Course at Dundee!!

Has anyone received any literature / paperwork through the post as yet for like Disclosure info etcc??

I am very much looking forward to starting the course, I live in Glasgow so will be looking to move to Dundee for the duration of the course.

Is anyone moving to Dundee to live? does anyone know any good sites for flats in Dundee?

D. :)

7. Hey again...sorry for delay in replying to this!

I am at work at the moment but will post about books in next few days as list is at home. 'Essential teaching skills is meant to be a good one though as well as 'getting the *** to behave'

I heard placements will be 9 weeks too...think from what I've heard it will be 9 weeks in one school but split into 2 stages so we still get to experience all stages :) apparently there is also going to be options to do with masters.

I live in Glenrothes and will be looking to car share with anyone who is interested?

Can't wait to start!! Having to keep it quiet from my work until I get exact dates etc.

Sarah xx

8. Cool I'm going to try order some books soon!! Is there anyone travelling from near Blairgowrie way at all? Xx

9. Hi all,
    I am also on the course...& very excited! I'm from Ireland, & I'm hoping to rent a place in either Perth (as I've friends living there & it's a smaller quieter city/town & a 40 minute commute right?) or Dundee, but have no idea yet which to go for as Dundee rent seems cheaper. Any ideas?
    Is there anyone else renting & looking for a roommate (well more flatmate), we can help each other along & I'm fairly easy going & have lived in China for 2 years so maybe by the time I get home I'll know at least one Chinese recipe?!? If not, I'll teach you the tiny bit of Mandarin I know [​IMG]
    Also post to here takes forever, so yes please, if anyone knows the book list please tell us!
    I can get a few primary teaching books in a pdf ebook format on the Chinese version of ebay; not many mind, but a few, they are a pound each, so if anyone wants any I can try get it for you if it's there & you're ok with pdf formats? The Learning to Teach in the Primary School is there...
    See you all in August,
    Annie

10. Hey!
    I stay in Dundee and start the course in August. I have quite a few friends that are teachers and know two of the post grads on the course this year. I have the pre course reading list for last year but I cant get it loaded in here so if anyone wants it (although some of it may change) your welcome to email me on natasha.suszko@btinternet.com. In response to looking for flats dgray I would highly recommend the west end where the uni is...flast in Roseangle are nice although maybe a bit more pricey than the universitys own accomodation. Anyone want to meet up for a wee pre-course cuppa over the summer let me know. Hope you are all as excited as I am!
    Natasha

11. Hey!
    I am having problems with my scanner hence why I have not uploaded book list. Will hopefully get it fixed beginning of next week!
    Natasha I think that is a great idea to meet up! Feel free to email me sarah@milnes7.com and we can look at arranging something!
    Sarah xx

12. Hi everyone,
    Not been on this for a while and just noticed your thread so thought I'd join in. I got into the Pgde at Dundee too, I'm so excited! I haven't had any info from Dundee yet re booklist or structure although I did get my firm acceptance form by e-mail last night. I will be commuting from Kinross if anyone fancies car sharing?

Looking forward to meeting you all soon : )
    Laura

13. Hi
    I have now managed to copy the book list into my PC but having same problem as Natasha in that I can't upload it to this forum.
    If you would like it then feel free to email me sarah@milnes7.com
    xx

14. Hi,

I still don't have the booklist; is there anyone else still waiting for it?
    I'll be in Scotland from the 28th of July until the 1st or 2nd of August flat hunting before the course, I'd love to meet up with anyone on the course then before we start...is anybody available?
    You can email me on russellann_marie@hotmail.com.
    Also, I've decided I'll probably rent in Dundee for the year, is anyone in the same boat & wanting to rent together?
    Meet y'all soon,
    Annie

15. Hi there - I'm also doing the course at Dundee so thought I'd chip in too. Am travelling from the east neuk if anyone wants to car share. Would be interested in meeting up if you arrange something. I'm on Kirsten.Jane.Mckenzie@gmail.com.
    K x

16. Does anyone know how much on campus teaching time is usually involved. I know it says you need to be available Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm but i wondered what the timetable is like. Is it all 5 days or less?

Thanks

17. I know people that have done the course before. It is as intense as monday to fri 9-5 from all accounts.

18. I heard that Wed is a shorter day, finishing in the afternoon. Any truth to this does anyone know?

19. I am on the course this year, with just two weeks to go now! We were generally in 9-4.30 or 5 every day, sometimes finishing at 1.30 or 3 on Wednesday if we were lucky. When on placement you are generally in school from 8.30 to 5, if not later. However, I believe the course is changing a lot next year with much less face-to-face contact time with tutors and much more personal study so the timetable may be very different.

20. Hey Everyone!

Has anyone received any PVG documentation or anything from the the uni yet?

thanks

D.