1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCEi suggestions

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tonydhaliwal8, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Michaelsan74

Michaelsan74 New commenter

The bursary's are good, however Primary PGCE appeals to me more and my degree isn't subject spefic to qualify for a bursary.

2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

If you're going for primary, I would suggest it's even more important to go for a course with a good solid practicum. I can't imagine that any decent school would touch someone who's teaching certificate involved just writing a few essays. I can see upper secondary teachers getting away with it more.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  3. Michaelsan74

Thanks, a practicum looks like the way to go.

4. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay New commenter

As someone who did the Nottingham PGCEi I think I would second this. As a KS4 teacher the certificate was more of a box to tick than a requirement to teach my subject as content knowledge and evidence of successful teaching is more important. However, upon applying to some top tier schools and having no responses, it is plausible that my teaching qualification is overriding my suitability for the position regardless of student success. For primary education I can't see the PGCEi being suitable at all - then again, there were primary teachers from China who were doing it on my course and are doing pretty well both financially and professionally. So who knows.

In terms of how people view the PGCEi, ignore Feb 31st's nonsense about teachers who stand up and tell parents what their qualifications are. No one does it. Ever. anywhere. It's a false argument with false premises. The rest of his comments are just scaremongering. As mentioned above, the number of International Schools will explode and they'll need teachers. Those with the PGCEi now gaining experience will ride the top end of that curve alongside teachers who are properly qualified. I'm sure there will be others on this board who will comment and say the same as me - the PGCEi opened doors and ticked the required boxes and it is possible to get into good schools with good packages with it.
    However, that doesn't mean I'd recommend doing the PGCEi if you have the option to go back and study in the UK... the Warwick and Sunderland PGCEi's (considered the best) are very steep financially and I'm fairly sure if you did the Assessment Only route to QTS you would be only spending 3 months in the UK and spending around the same financially. I'd only suggest the PGCEi if you're stuck out here and have no options with which to return.

Bill8899 and grdwdgrrrl like this.
  5. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I believe that you can do the AO route overseas - no need to return to Blighty.
    I'd do the AO route and get QTS if I were you. It would mitigate the Nottingham iPGCE on your CV.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

For the AO route you need to have teaching experience in at least 2 schools.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...y-route-to-qts-criteria-and-supporting-advice
    "The assessment only route is intended for very experienced graduate teachers without QTS who can demonstrate meeting all of the Teachers’ Standards without the need for further training. Therefore, the whole process for a candidate should be completed in no longer than 3 calendar months from their registered start date."
    https://www.tes.com/institute/assessment-only-route-qts

7. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I agree with this completely. I am in a very good school in a leadership role despite doing the Nottingham one. However, if I had had the opportunity to get my qualifications back in the UK, I would have gladly done. It was impossible at that time, so I did the best alternative. Luckily, I was working (doing cover and support) at a school and able to get class teaching experience and complete the PGCEi, with merit. My route wasn't conventional but I got there in the end.

8. HeroForTheDay

have you done this before? is it viewed differently if you do it online via TES and not back in blighty? or is it just a certificate that says QTS awarded?

9. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

No I didn't follow this route. I hope you read it carefully as it emphasises the teaching experience. and being employed as a teacher in a school before starting.
    It also says, "We will assess your teaching by reviewing your portfolio of evidence and observing your teaching at your current school." Whether the observation includes overseas schools I don't know.

Really the AO route is for experienced teachers.

10. HeroForTheDay

Thanks for the response. Has anyone reading this thread gone the tes route for AO? If so please PM

11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Well one school in HK has got the message, their current job advert says WITH QTS.

I only know teachers who did the GTP(or what ever it is called now) with a London agency and got paid around 16KGBP for working as a glorified supply teacher.

12. SouthernSal

SouthernSal New commenter

So, with AO not realistic for many, it seems that a placement is crucial...which leaves Warwick and Sunderland.

But which? Anyone any thoughts?

I have contacted both. Warwick have been super helpful (the lecturer who wrote the article linked a few posts back replied).

Worth the expense?

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  13. Michaelsan74

Warwick have been helpful to me too. The cost is a bit more than Sunderland but I'm edging towards Warwick.

SouthernSal likes this.
  14. PuertaDelVino

PuertaDelVino New commenter

Warwick campus is nice. My friend went there and it is very leafy. She got bitten by a dog and had to go to hospital to clean the wound though she said. Sod all the other places! She was doing languages including RUssian and said she's messy love Tanya in dead Leicester Centre lol.

15. SouthernSal

The Warwick residential is in Bangkok, no need to go to the UK campus.

16. HeroForTheDay

believe its called the SCITT

17. PDPEDAGOGUE

PDPEDAGOGUE New commenter

18. SouthernSal

School Centered Initial Teacher Training....I think its a way of getting QTS in a UK school, gotta be in the UK to do it though.

19. SouthernSal

So, after much pondering...looks like its Warwick for me.

I need the assessed placement to get a teacher licence, so it was Warwick or Sunderland. Warwick have been really helpful and even put me in touch with a current student. She had really enjoyed the Bangkok residential and said it made the group feel like they were going through the course together. Her school gave her a full-time job after the course, so there is hope!

Now just to cross my fingers and hope my application is successful. Wish me Luck!

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  20. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Good luck, SouthernSal. We all have to start somewhere...