1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCEi suggestions

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tonydhaliwal8, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Have you looked at Warwick's PGCEi? I think this is probably a good bet for you as they have an induction in Bangkok at Easter. Warwick is a Russell Group University known worldwide, which might help you secure that school placement. Lots of really good information on their website, they send a tutor to assess you. Warwick Teacher training is graded 'Outstanding' by OFSTED.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

How is it quicker and cheaper? I’m not sure I could have found a cheaper place to live than where I am overseas. Plus, you probably need a car as well. We went back for my husband’s and it was a very expensive experience. I was having a baby at the time so we had to make some kind of living as well. It was really hard. In the end he got a job overseas before he even graduated so we didn’t stay for his NQT year. Alternatively, I did mine overseas and was able to work at the school whilst doing the degree, much better I think.

3. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

That’s a bit harsh.

4. Michaelsan74

Michaelsan74 New commenter

Hi Lucas, thanks for your reply.

I have been in contact with the University of Warwick. What they offer seems great. I'll strongly consider it.

5. yasf

yasf Established commenter

but accurate.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  6. Michaelsan74

I've received an email from Warwick University and they include a 144 hour practicum in their PGCEi course. Lucas95 mentioned Warwick University in this thread.

Have you guys only come across individuals who go through Sunderland (or Notthingham)?

Not much is mentioned out there about Warwick but their course seems great.

7. yasf

it does look good.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  8. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay New commenter

Warwick is also double the (nearly treble) cost of Nottingham... at nearly 8 grand GBP you're almost at UK PGCE costs.... Sunderland costs 7K.....might be worth considering going back to do the AO route for that outlay...and thats coming from someone who did the PGCEI

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 4:27 AM
    Michaelsan74 likes this.
  9. Michaelsan74

That's right it's quite steep at nearly 8K.
    From advice I've been given here on TES and elsewhere, it seems a practicum is important, that's why I'm not so keen on Nottingham.

May I ask, which establishment did you complete your PGCEi in? How did it help to find teaching roles?

10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

At 8000GBP and no QTS the PGCEi is not good value for money. The more convoluted these certificates become it starts to make sense to complete a true PGCE with QTS in the UK.

Its not a question of never returning to the UK to teach but if and when countries will refuse to issue a work visa to holders of PGCEi and no QTS.

With hundreds of extra candidates applying for teaching jobs with only a PGCEi, current pay and conditions are going to nose dive.

With 1000s of PGCEi teachers joining the market each year how will this impact the professional standards of international teaching.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

but honestly how many places actually do this? China, that's all I know, any more?

also, going to live in the UK and doing your PGCE is going to be significantly more expensive than 8000GBP

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  12. february31st

All you need to work as a teacher in China is a 3 year full time Degree obtained in a native English speaking country. In fact the ESL industry is more highly regulated in checking qualifications compared to school teachers. The "international" PGCE is a smoke screen to hide the number of unqualified teachers in the classroom.

I am still waiting for someone with a PGCEi to stand up in front of parents and inform them that they are have no UK recognised teaching qualification. Maybe the certificate should read PGCEi(None QTS) to make it clear with regards to its true value.

Many candidates have travelled /lived/studied in the UK to obtain QTS only to see their commitment devalued by the PGCEi. With the number of PGCEi teachers in the classroom it will only be a short time before parents begin to ask why their children's teacher is not qualified!

13. Michaelsan74

You make some good points, thanks.

14. Michaelsan74

also, going to live in the UK and doing your PGCE is going to be significantly more expensive than 8000GBP[/QUOTE]

I do agree, I imagine with living costs etc it will become double the amount of this course.

15. unicorny123

unicorny123 New commenter

I haven't done a PGCEi but might do one in the near future. I have been reading the posts about the different courses. My husband did a PGCE QTS in the UK. The school we both work in (I am a TA) seems typical of good International Schools with a range of people teaching with different qualifications, parents would never be able to get their head round it, they are really relying on their child's progress to tell tbh. .
    My husband was a bit like the poster Feb31 when he first came out , because he studied really hard for his PGCEQTS he felt it was superior, 6 mths down the line he really began to change his tune, whilst he still says lots of what he learnt teaching in UK schools (albeit a short time) helped him he also thinks the PGCE element is what has stood him well to be the teacher he is. We have now been here 2 years and have seen PGCEQTS trained come and not cope and we have seen people with PGCEI and other qualifications cope really well.
    In a way I wish I had done my PGCE QTS in the UK as well (kids and finance prevented it!) just in case we go back (when kids are older) but I have spoken to our Head who is British, he says do the course which is the best with the best name and who care about your practice in the classroom too. He also says the explosion of International Schools means schools need to think outside the box for good teachers and its not about starving home countries of teachers by offering amazing packages(although that might be to do with the fact that this school the packages are good but not fab!!;) ). I am hoping when I get round to doing it he might pay the cost (he has hinted but I am just enjoying life too much at the mo).

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  16. february31st

Imagine been called into the principals office and been told the school can't renew your visa as the regulations have changed and PGCEi is no longer accepted as a teaching qualification.

17. Bill8899

Bill8899 New commenter

I laughed out loud. That will never happen. Scare tactics. If China did that, most international secondary schools would close. Most international high schools in China have few - according to you - "qualified" teachers. They hire those who know the subject.

For primary, they need all the help they can get. There are not enough teachers to fill the roles available, so this would just make it worse.

Hilarious. You have an deep, undiscernable personal problem with the PGCEi. You need counseling.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  18. yasf

Not necessarily. Depending on your subject, you could get a bursary to cover both fees and living costs.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  19. The number of international schools is predicted to double to over 20,000 in the next decade. These schools will require an additional 1 million English speaking teachers. Any teacher with a PGCEi now has a fantastic career opportunity ahead of them. I was previously involved in helping design and deliver the Keele Univ PGCEi (now defunct) and can confidently say that the Warwick PGCEi is now the best programme available (I have no connection with it, by the way). It may not be the cheapest PGCEi, but it is the most rigorous and is delivered by experts with vast experience of the IS scene. This gives it credibility which is what any PGCEi applicant really needs. If you are considering a PGCEi then you might check out this article in IS magazine written by Dr Denry Machin, the Asia-based Warwick PGCEI coordinator - https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q6lqahpudpcux4/IS Magazine - Vol 21 - PGCEi.pdf?dl=0

I have been involved in delivering postgrad programmes for IS teachers since 2009 (Keele University) and have been a director of an SE Asia-based international school group. I'm happy to give free advice to any potential applicant.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  20. Michaelsan74

Firstly, I'm not sure why it says I am ignoring content from this member. I never ignored anything haha. Or I could have hit the wrong button by mistake.

Thanks for the positive outlook. It's promising to know that you've come across teachers who have completed a PGCEi and have done well.

Good luck I hope you can get your qualification soon ☺️