1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCEi suggestions

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tonydhaliwal8, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Michaelsan74

Michaelsan74 New commenter

Hi,

I am currently living and working in Asia and would like to move up from a 'normal' TEFL job. I've read mixed reviews about a PGCEi, does anyone have any suggestions on whether it's a good idea for someone looking to continue living and working in Asia and hoping to get into International Schools?

I'm aware it doesn't offer QTS, but at the moment I won't be coming back to the UK to teach and see myself staying in Asia for the foreseeable future.

Many thanks

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

From what I have heard, a PGCEi is not exactly cheap. I am not going to comment about the QTS issue, but I would say that, in my experience, many international schools would prefer to employ teachers who have done a "proper" PGCE. Therefore you might find yourself at a disadvantage, tonyhaliwal8.

On the other hand, plenty of experience and good references are also very important for most international jobs, so what sort of PGCE you have is only one part of the overall picture.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  3. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Many people use them successfully and have great careers. It does mean, however, that you would have issues if you ever did decide to go back to the UK to teach, and some schools might put you further down the list than you otherwise would be.

Finally, not all iPGCEs are equal. Do not touch the Robin Hood universities offering - the more schools and countries find out about it, the less respect it garners.

Michaelsan74 and grdwdgrrrl like this.
  4. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

The main issue you might face with the PGCEi is finding schools to do your placements. You have to set them up yourself, and international schools are usually rather reluctant to take on a student teacher, especially if they don't have any connection with the school, and if it's a core subject. They understandably feel that parents are paying a lot of money to have their children taught by experienced and qualified teachers, so it would not be appropriate to have them taught by a student teacher.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The real issue is security of employment if visa requirements change. At the moment in China all that is required to obtain a teaching visa is a 3 year Degree, but what happens if the regulations change and teachers now have to provide evidence of QTS.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Not Again!!!!

Sunderland!! ***

dumbbells66 and grdwdgrrrl like this.
  7. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

At my school we have had a few PGCEi-ers doing their placements with us. They do usually know someone but not always. I would definitely ask at schools or through someone you know teaching in an international school. When I did mine, I sent an email to all the schools around me and I ended up with some choices. And, after I completed it, I got a job at that school.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  8. Michaelsan74

Thanks for your reply :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2020
  9. Michaelsan74

Thanks, I'll definitely be careful of the Robin Hood offers

10. Michaelsan74

Thanks for your reply. It makes sense that they wouldn't want to be taught by a student teacher. I'll look into what placement options I might have.

11. Michaelsan74

That's right, visa requirements could absolutely change. If I end up completing a PGCEi, I would strongly consider returning to the UK for QTS only in a few years.

12. Michaelsan74

Are you suggesting the University of Sunderland is the best option?

13. Michaelsan74

Thanks for your reply, this sounds promising.

14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

i have sent you one of those TES Conversations, Michaelsan74.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  15. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Sunderland will offer more teaching possibilities. As it stands, the Nottingham one is not acceptable in Hong Kong but Sunderland is. Sunderland has a very stringent placement and requirement with a mentor and Nottingham does not have the same level of placement required. It assumes you are already in a school or have some experience already.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  16. yasf

yasf Established commenter

That's putting it mildly.
    Quite right too. Nottingham University should be ashamed of themselves. For all practical purposes, you might as well just get a fake certificate from the Khao San Road. It would be about as valid.

Michaelsan74 likes this.
  17. Michaelsan74

Sunderland seems like the way. I currently don't have International School experience. I'm currently working at a language center in Vietnam. Not sure if placements would work at a center.

18. Michaelsan74

The good ol' Khao San Road haha

19. Michaelsan74

That's great, which country are they doing their placements in? Hope you don't mind me asking.

20. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Quicker, cheaper and far better to do a real PGCE back in UK. Even better do the induction year and get a far better job. PGCE means 9 months in UK. An extra year added to that and become far more employable and no Visa hassles with QTS.

Pgcei surely is only for those that are really stuck eg have a local wife and kids from outside the UK making returning difficult.