1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCEi (international) - insights and advice please!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mckk, Mar 1, 2019.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Because candidates with iPGCE's will take the lower salary offered.

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Reputable schools won't employ someone with less experience and a lesser qualification to save money. Simply apply to reputable schools/. Problem solved

Mr_Frosty and dumbbells66 like this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Did you happen to meet a really rich dumbell who we hear is one of the greatest educators on the circuit?? :D

Nahh, i have a feeling old twisty is trolling it. If they were here, which i dont thing they were, we have never met.

I always feel second best to you "educational martyrs" anyway @makhnovite ,because its "all about the kids" :confused:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 2:20 PM
    T0nyGT likes this.
  4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Stop swimming at the bottom end of the pond Feb, Be a risk taker, slip off the arm bands of a national curriculum and come up the better end of the pool with the rest of us ;).

This is taking me back to a few years ago when good old @february31st came out to support Brexshit.... they had a right good kicking over that..... it does make me laugh though.

5. twisty08

twisty08 New commenter

Never encountered Dumbbells, I don't think. When I was in Luanda there were no obvious hermits who never left the compound.

Still, the life of Riley on the compound for £200 a month! To each their own.

I left after a couple of years to work at a higher end establishment (with a healthy pay rise, to boot!)

6. MsBuzy

MsBuzy New commenter

Nah.
    Just like the head of Eton doesn't feel the need.
    By the way, I can offer some English usage lessons courtesy of our excellent English teacher with PGCEi. She would be delighted to teach you how to use the apostrophe of possession and omission appropriately.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  7. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Does anyone else have there QTS certificate behind there desk, should I, starting to worry, what about my GCSE certificate in DR (F Grade, imagine if the parents found out) or my 5m swimming certificate?

dumbbells66 likes this.
  8. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay New commenter

that's quite an assumption made about people you don't know. Those with PGCEi's aren't just desperately accepting any post that comes up. Sure some fresh graduates with PGCEi's might take whatever they're offered but those of us who are on the circuit for over a decade take what we think we are worth. As already mentioned, if you're fighting against fresh grads for jobs with your BEd, PGCE and QTS above your wall then that says a lot more about you.

9. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay New commenter

Only if you managed to swim the whole length without armbands

10. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

We have a salary scale according to years teaching with a maximum entry point no matter how long you've taught or what your teaching qualification is as long as it's a teaching qualification (including online). Unless you have a masters then you get a bump up in salary but it's still added on to your salary. Just like a responsibility bump, it's added to your base salary.

T0nyGT likes this.
  11. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Same here.

I have to say that some of my favourite colleagues who have taught me a thing or two have iPGCEs. I've also mentored some fantastic iPGCE students who also taught me a thing or two.

The key for me isn't the essays - whether online or in a lecture hall. It's the placement. Being able to team teach, observe and be observed - the collaborative hands on experience is so important in ITT (and afterwards too IMHO). It's when people with the Robin Hood certificate say, "oh - but I have classroom experience. I don't need the placement" that I get worried. It's not the same thing.

Mr_Frosty and dumbbells66 like this.