1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCEi (international) - insights and advice please!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mckk, Mar 1, 2019.

1. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Really ? It's more rigorous than any iPGCE or most US routes into teaching.

2. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

How did you get through your rigorous teaching qualification using apostrophes in plurals?

jameswbullock likes this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Any qualified teacher will tell you what is wrong with this statement.

Also I did say not to distract or divert from my original question.

4. Bill8899

Bill8899 New commenter

Why don't you start a topic with your precious question and rules, instead of trolling every iPGCE topic?

Besides, your question was answered.

You obsess about iPGCEs while the South Africans eat your lunch.

5. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

I'm not sure I would want someone who does not possess a basic grasp of English grammar teaching my children. Maybe you should raise this at the next parent-teacher meeting.

Seriously, a basic pre-requisite, before ever looking at somoene's teaching qualification, should be being able to write fluently in the language of their teaching.

6. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Actually there is no hard and fast rule regarding the use of apostrophes with plurals of anacronyms (actually there are no rules of English grammar at all, but that’s another story albeit a good one). And there shouldn’t be. Feb 31st is way of the mark for reasons other than this. Best to leave it there.

T0nyGT likes this.
  7. MsBuzy

MsBuzy New commenter

You mean like the teachers who work at Eton, Harrow, or any other UK public and private schools who employ teachers without standard teaching qualifications?
    Or, the international schools who employ people with a subject degree only?
    Or, the academies and free schools in England who are free to employ teachers without standard teaching qualifications?

Stop trotting out this ridiculous nonsense.

Bill8899 and dumbbells66 like this.
  8. MsBuzy

MsBuzy New commenter

I might add, for the benefit of February 31st, that I would happily employ someone with the PGCEi.

However, I would not employ someone who was incapable of using the apostrophe correctly in their application.

T0nyGT likes this.
  9. february31st

Just as long as your inform parents that your teachers have iPGCE/i and not a real qualification that is acceptable.

10. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay New commenter

This subject has been done to death already, February 31st is threatened by those with the PGCEi and wails incessantly about it with ridiculous arguments about how teachers with the PGCEi are not "real teachers", "qualified" etc. Give it a rest. There are great teachers with the PGCEi and their are terrible teachers with the full PGCE & QTS. The world is changing. International teaching is not some closed circuit for those who have only entered via the "acceptable" route (read traditional). First the argument they wailed about how unprofessional and poor quality those with the PGCEi is... now its about how they're "threatening our salaries via hiding within the herd". What next? teachers with the PGCEi are using it to scam a living? I don't have to stand in front of a bunch of parents and claim "I'm unqualified" because I've had 3 students in 5 years get top in country for my subject at IG. My students success shines brighter than my piece of paper. International teaching for the first couple of years is about the paperwork, then its about experience and references and the paperwork becomes a box ticking exercise. For most, that's all the PGCEi is.. a box to tick.

As I've stated on here before, I have the PGCEi and I'd have preferred to go back to the UK to do a PGCE but it simply wasn't an option. Yes the PGCEi has its drawbacks, and I can't work in certain parts of the world with it. But so what? the majority of places who don't accept it aren't places I want to be in. The countries I want to be in, due to family commitments, accept the PGCEi. So doing the PGCEi has worked for me, and I'm sure it has for others on here too.

Bill8899, T0nyGT and dumbbells66 like this.
  11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

There are plenty of people with a B.ed that dont consider a PGCE a "proper qualification".
    From what i've seen over the years i have been abroad, the amount of staff with iPGCE in any particular school would be very low. I have worked and been associated with good schools though, not tier 1. All decent schools i know of are full of "proper qualified" (feb31st words not mine) staff, with the odd staff member here or there that needed to "top up" their national qualification due to visa reasons.

@february31st must be swimming at the shallow end of the international pond if they are this bitter about it, because they seem to have seen a lot of these people.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

And in Australia the opposite would be true. If you only had a 3 year B.ed you wouldn't be qualified to teach in state schools (or even private ones as you wouldn't be able to register with the state board). Does that mean every Australian teacher with a 3 year teaching degree teaching overseas should have to announce to parents that they aren't qualified? Of course not, because that's nonsense.

13. february31st

Well I am still waiting for someone with an iPGCE to say that they stood up at a parent's meeting and informed them that they have no professional teaching qualification.

14. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Why would they, should all teachers who have had time off with stress do the same, what about those given a written warning in the past. Do we have to declare everything about us to the parents? At our school we have a few Filipino teachers in the EY, a few ESL teachers and a couple of local PE teacher (Swim instructors etc), should they stand up in front of the parents and say they don't have QTS.

I see your point about the qualification in general, but no value or point in this argument here that seems to your only comeback at the moment.

15. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

Why would anyone ever discuss their qualifications with a parent unless asked? And I'm sure if asked people with an iPGCE would tell parents that what they have. You question seems a little bitter and completely irrelevant.

Bill8899 likes this.
  16. february31st

My qualifications are seen twice a year in a PPP by new parents at the start of the school year and prospective parents near the end of the school year. I also have my QTS status pined behind my desk for anybody to see if they wish.

Parents and students are the KEY STAKE HOLDERS (using IB speak) and have the right to know what qualifications their teachers have.

People using iPGCE are hiding in my shadow and they should come out into the daylight if they dare and hold their qualifications up for all to see. I am get bitter as I can see the downward trend in my pay and conditions as a direct impact of the flood of iPGCE holders into the job market. I think the iPGCE is a dark dirty secret that needs to be exposed to parents who are not aware of the actual relevance with regards to a person been qualified to teach.

So unless you are prepared to hold your teaching qualification up in front of 600 parents, what good is it?(my insight on the matter)

17. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Ahhhh it all makes sense now. You are "one of those" that sticks their qualifications up on the wall......how embarresing. o_O
    I bet you are very quiet about your qualifications when you meet someone that has a B.ed

18. february31st

I have a BEd:eek: and I only feel inadequate if someone has a PhD.
    Next insult please?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  19. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Why after so many years teaching are you in competition with newly qualified teachers with iPGCEs? If you're going to an interview and they're offering the job to someone with 10 years less experience and an online qualification then I'd say it says far more about you than it does about some random qualification.

Bill8899, Mr_Frosty and HeroForTheDay like this.
  20. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

To twisty08

When I was teaching at the main international school in Luanda, Angola.

Did you happen to meet a really rich dumbell who we hear is one of the greatest educators on the circuit?? :D