1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCEi (International) can you teach at International Schools with this?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by DancingMonkey, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Hello all,
    I've been teaching in the ESL industry now for over 3 years and would like to make the jump over to teaching at international schools.
    I'm looking at doing the PGCEi at Nothingham University (China) and then going on to do the MA in Education.
    I can't do the PGCE in England as I have a wife over here in China and will have great difficulty taking her over there for a year and paying my way through as well.
    Is there anyone who has done this course or knows someone who has and is now working in an international school.
    I'm just trying to see if it is worth doing or not.
    Thanks for any and all advice :)

2. Hello all,
    I've been teaching in the ESL industry now for over 3 years and would like to make the jump over to teaching at international schools.
    I'm looking at doing the PGCEi at Nothingham University (China) and then going on to do the MA in Education.
    I can't do the PGCE in England as I have a wife over here in China and will have great difficulty taking her over there for a year and paying my way through as well.
    Is there anyone who has done this course or knows someone who has and is now working in an international school.
    I'm just trying to see if it is worth doing or not.
    Thanks for any and all advice :)

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Hi I would say good international schools a definate no - unless your a ESL special support first and they think "wow". But most likely not.

Bottom of the pile "international" for profit outfits (where most teachers couldn't spell international) yes as they will take anyone with a pulse who is cheap enough, but preferably white/young/good looking to act a veneer of "internationalness" - lots of those around it seems. Basically rip parents off (aka as 'cash cows') by charging big fees and banking 70% of them as profit.

In between depends. Lots of ESL teachers and English teachers around so depends especially with depression in the west grads have no jobs and no future so TEFL! and party. And they have youth and good looks destroying TEFL as a career

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Or "definite"?????
    I was led to believe that the PGCEi wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Still not a teacher until you've done your NQT year and where are you going to do that abroad when a good school will want at least 2 years of experience? No thanks, I'll stick to "proper" qualifications

5. [​IMG]bigfatgit !
    Nemo, well-done you for the twin achievement of teaching in a top tier school and spelling international. This surely gives you the right to be disparaging to colleagues.

6. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Yes, international schools will accept it but not all. Then again, some international schools won't take you if you're married / with kids / without kids / unmarried / without blue eyes / with a funny walk....

I know at least 4 people who've done it and are now working in good international schools.

Good luck!

7. Thank you for all your replies :)
    BFT - that was my worry - I don't want to spend 2 years (PGCEi +Masters) and find out i can't get a job because it's not seen as a "proper" qualification.
    RT - It's good to know that some places will accept it and that jobs are gained with it.
    Thanks again for all your replies - I have a little more to think about now :)

8. bolllocks!

9. I don't know for sure, as I'm not in management, but I'd imagine that if you can wow an administrator at an interview, and you've got what they're looking for, you would be considered for a position regardless of what's written on your PGCE cert.
    You also have experience working with EAL learners and this will usually stand you in good stead.
    Good luck.

10. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Who reported you? Did they tell you?
    I thought that after the failed prosecution of "Never mind the ******** ...here's the sex pistols", it had been decided that bollocks wasn't a swear word!
    It's actually a term refering to a priest and just means "nonsense"

11. No, they only told me that I'd been reported.
    Could have been worse, they may have tried to beat me with a Wet Towel.
    [​IMG]