1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCEi from Sunderland or Nottingham?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lynn3003, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lynn3003

lynn3003 New commenter

Hey guys,

I'm a TA at an international school in Asia right now and am thinking of getting a PGCE. My options are the PGCEi from Sunderland or Nottingham.

Now, here's my problem: Sunderland's fee is £6500 while Nottingham would only set me back about £3000. So I'm a bit confused about the huge price difference and what it means in terms of quality or recognition.

If you've taken either one of these courses I would really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts on the matter. Thanks!

2. Arsenalfc

Arsenalfc New commenter

Hi Lynn,

I am also interested in the option of doing an iPGCE and have researched both and while I've not taken the courses myself, the information I have from an international school teacher in Asia (who selected the Sunderland course) the difference is due to the mentorship part of the Sunderland programme. My understanding is a qualified mentor from the UK comes out to assess your teaching and this is the difference in the fees.

I have recently been in contact with Sunderland admissions and they sent me an email stating they are not sure if they are going to run the iPGCE in Sept 2017 as they have had low interest and it is not easy to justify the fees for the mentor. I am a little sad about this as I would like to do their course and am wondering if you have heard anything about this?

Thanks,

Arsenalfc

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Be aware that these qualifications do not include UK QTS they are stand alone postgraduate awards hence the lack of interest? They are not direct entry qualifications for teaching. A number of students have then found difficulty in having to subsequently gain QTS in order to teach in schools in the UK as they would then need to go through further programmes to qualify while being employed in a school.

4. lynn3003

lynn3003 New commenter

I
    have checked with the university and they say that the course is always very popular so it's definitely starting this september. Registration opens today.

5. lynn3003

lynn3003 New commenter

Yes I'm aware it doesn't lead to a QTS. The PGCEi is not designed for teachers who intend to work in the UK but rather for those who are interested in working at international schools which follow the British Curriculum - I'm currently employed at such a school. Thanks anyway for sharing! :)

6. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

To be fair, most parents "know" what a PGCE is, and what it means. They are much hazier about "QTS" and all that. I suppose it depends on whether you want to work in British state schools at some point, or have the opportunity to do so. For what it's worth, I'm reasonably sure Durham offer a similar course.

7. memoonaqamar78

memoonaqamar78 New commenter

hi
    id you enrolled?