1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by leannekathleen, Aug 4, 2020.

1. leannekathleen

leannekathleen New commenter

I'm starting a PGCE in Sept. I haven't went to uni since 2016. My assignments are Essay based and I'm wondering what is expected for masters levels. What would be the outline of the essay. I would appreciate if someone could help.

2. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

You will receive guidance when the time comes. To be honest the referencing takes a lot of time so you could look up what referencing system your university uses and start to familiarise yourself with it.

In terms of the outline of an essay, it depends on what you are discussing and the nature of the assignment (whether it is a critical review, a reflection, a literature study). You will be given criteria before you write the essay and you will need to follow it. It will probably be split into the different grade boundaries.

Just make sure that you have read around the topic, can find counter-arguments, come up with your own conclusions and relate your findings to your practice.

3. install

install Star commenter

PGCEs are not masters level. They are post degree qualifications though to help with your career.

4. leannekathleen

leannekathleen New commenter

Thank you.
    The essay is based on
    In the assignment for this module trainees will be required to demonstrate awareness of how children learn, basic philosophical principles underlying educational theory and teaching practice.
    Write an essay of 2,500-3,000 words on the following topic

Educational Psychology: The most significant impact on pupil outcomes is how well teachers understand how children learn and what factors might inhibit that learning. Consider how this relates to Teacher’s Standard 5 and critically evaluate your practice with reference to your learning to date and relevant pedagogical principles.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Uh ha.

celago22 likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

One assumes you write this essay towards the end of the course? And that you base it on what you have learnt during the course? That you are reflecting on your practice?
    Looking at someone else's would not be a good idea.

The masters level will be given to you and talked about by your course leaders. Don't panic about it just now. They really will give you everything you need.

What parts of education interest you at the moment? Maybe read up on those a bit and get some theory in your mind? These are likely to, but may not, for the basis of your dissertation later, so getting a little ahead is a good thing.
    Join some FB groups relating to your interests as well. They are a great source of ideas and experiences.

And enjoy your summer...the PGCE is fantastic, but hard work.
    (Teaching is much more fun!)

7. install

install Star commenter

Good luck - don’t confuse it with Masters. Some do. It’s a Post Graduate Certificate in Education.

Do talk with your mentor. They don’t bite.

8. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

That's not correct - my PGCE, for example, gave master's credits which could be put towards an MA in education later on. It was one essay that gained us the credits, and I think that's what the OP is asking about.

9. blueskydreaming

Your uni will help with this, so don't worry about it too much. Look carefully at their mark scheme, and follow the guidance they give you for each assessment. The essays will be specific to your uni, e.g. we had to be reflective in our first essay, which was about behaviour, and had to present some independent research for the final assignment. Only one of my assignments was at master's level.

10. install

install Star commenter

In terms of one essay or one unit, it may count as a small part towards an MA ‘later’ if that is what you mean. Which would be correct.

Some people wrongly assume the PGCE is an MA level qualification in its entirety when it isn’t at all. A PGCE is a Post Graduate Certificate in Education.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  11. install

install Star commenter

Exactly - one assignment or unit may count towards an MA later and if agreed.

12. blueskydreaming

The OP specifically said they're worried about writing master's level essays. They probably will write a master's level essay, as I did, so telling them it's not a master's level course isn't entirely accurate - part of it will be.

I got master's level credits as part of my PGCE. They're on my transcript as being so. Whether I use them later or not, they still exist.

Although the PGCE is not entirely at master's level, the OP will still be completing work at a level above undergraduate. They may not be used to writing essays. They're clearly concerned about this. You've now stressed 3 times on this thread that the PGCE is not an MA; I wonder how that helps someone who's worried about writing essays?

13. caterpillartobutterfly

Many PGCEs allow you to gain up to 60 credits at Masters level, which can then count towards a full Masters qualification once you've finished

Which as @blueskydreaming says is probably what is concerning the OP.
    A reasonable question and fortunately some people have given helpful answers.

14. install

install Star commenter

All answers are helpful imho in regard to the OP and anyone doing a PGCE. It isn’t a case of ‘all’ the essays counting toward an MA level- so it’s vital to find out which ones count in case an MA is done ‘later’.

It’s also important to remember that this is a public forum and it would be awful for anyone to wrongly think that a PGCE were an MA. Believe me - it happens and the concern was that it seemed to be possibly be inferred on this thread. Good luck to all those doing their PGCEs.

Good luck to the OP. Feel free to PM me if you need more specific advice. I work with PGCE students all the time.

:);):)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

:rolleyes:
    Yet you post two incorrect pieces of information.
    The level of research and essays in most PGCEs these days are at masters level and this is expected from the start of the course.

phatsals likes this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

More info here for all those doing PGCE - this article from TES regarding training when it comes to the PGCE in schools:

‘ 1. Know your stuff
    Your training year may throw up gaps in your subject knowledge; every school covers different content, so it’s not down to your training provider to remedy this.

Find out what’s being taught with the classes you’ll be taking and make sure you gen up.

Don’t be afraid to ask your mentor for help with this or head over to Twitter where you’ll find lots of resources and ideas freely available.

Quick read: How teacher training is tackling the workload issue

Quick listen: How to train a teacher

Want to know more? The research that shaped me: retrieval practice

2. Learn the names of key staff
    Depending on the size of your training school, there could be upwards of a hundred staff members.

You won’t be able to learn who they are all straight away (and if you’re only in a placement school for a few weeks this would be unrealistic) but make sure you know the names of key staff, such as the designated safeguarding lead.

3. Learn all student names, sharpish
    One of the most powerful things to know as a teacher is your students’ names. Learn them quickly and use them liberally. Not good with learning names? Write out a seating plan and have it in front of you.

4. Read key policies
    What’s the school behaviour policy? What should you do if you’re going to be absent? What are the expectations for marking and feedback?

A good training school will give you access to key policies but you may need to ask your mentor for them. It’s important that you follow school policy even if you don’t entirely agree with it.

5. Make the most of observing
    There will come a time where you’ve had enough of observing and just want to get stuck in. Don’t wish the observation time away.

[​IMG]
    Teaching is not as easy as it looks; you’re watching experts do something they’ve done for years and they have a habit of making it look effortless (or, at the very least, less effort than it actually is).

The trick is to find new ways to unpick what they’re doing while you still have the chance to watch them at their craft. What routines do they have in place? What questions do they ask? Who do they direct their attention to?

6. Fake it till you make it
    An aphorism to live by. You may not feel confident when you teach your first few lessons but play the role: stand up; speak up. Behave in the same way you’d expect any other teacher to and don’t be afraid to give sanctions for poor behaviour. Maintain high expectations.

7. Smile
    You might have been told not to smile before Christmas. Ignore that. You’re not an automaton, don’t act like one. It’s important to have boundaries – definitely don’t try to be mates with your students – but it’s also important to build relationships and show that you care. Smile.

8. Take your own mug
    It’s probably best to avoid drama in the first few weeks…so take your own mug. I’ve never worked in a school where there hasn’t been some fuss about mug thievery.

Don’t get caught drinking out of Linda’s "Flirty and 30" mug. Pick one that’s so ugly nobody else wants to take it...’ (TES)
    :);):)

17. install

install Star commenter

Nope. Your post is wrong imho.

A PGCE is not an MA. The level of research for some of the work might be at MA level - but not all as seemingly suggested in your post. . I agree about the credits counting towards an MA though.

18. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

The Post-Graduate Certificate in Education is Level 7, 60 Masters level credits. The Professional Certificate is Level 6. Guidance is given with each written assignment about what is needed to achieve Level 7. For those that don't quite reach the academic standard for the Post-Graduate certificate - PGCE, (masters level), the Professional Cert is often given. Many institutions now offer the PGDE, 120 credits instead. Both the PGCE and PGDE can be used towards a full Masters, 180 credits.

install likes this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

Exactly. Thank you.:);):)

20. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

When I did my PGCE for SEN (NASENCO) we had to write at masters level, very difficult when you hadn't written any academic work for 30 odd years!

install likes this.