1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by greasychipbuttie, Dec 1, 2019.

1. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Placement has been (on the most part!) enjoyable but I’m really struggling when on University days.

Lectures I just doze off and I’m really struggling with workshop with peers, who are 15 years my junior and ultra confident...which I just don’t gel with.

I’m thinking SCITT would have been more suitable but I’m a 1/3 (ish!) through the course.

University has defiantly heighten my anxiety and my depressive moods have returned. I’m on medication for both but need to see a lift. I’ve had positive feedback from placement A and it’s just University days which my social anxiety and confidence really struggle with.

One foot forward...on day at a time...

2. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Im sorry to hear you are feeling like this, depression and anxiety are beasts and have so much influence on how we feel about ourselves.
    I can relate to this experience too. I’m doing a SCITT and find the “centre based training” days a drag. There’s a few people I speak to and I’m happy to do group work but I don’t really gel with anyone. But I’m not there to make friends in my eyes, I’m happy doing my own thing and have found it more useful talking to theNQTs and RQTs on my placement.
    I would bet that your fellow students are not as confident as they make out to be, when you’re a youngun you can just pretend (I know I did!)
    I hope you are ok and all I can suggest is that you take it a day at a time and remind yourself that you’ve got this and you know what you’re doing!

MathMan1 and greasychipbuttie like this.
  3. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Thankyou! Good advice, that’s how I’m going to approach days at Uni, 1 at a time.

I really loathe them.

Will keep getting up in the morning and ploughing on. Hopefully placement B school will be enjoyable!

Thanks again! I’ve seen the “younguns” do peer teaching and they are all super confident and deliver really well...I just lose confidence in myself ridiculously quickly and don’t feel I “belong”

Gsr25 likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

In what way do you expect working in a school to be different to this? If you hate it so much, are you sure you are on the right road?

MathMan1 likes this.