1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE York St John - accommodation??

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by emma899, Jul 27, 2011.

1. emma899

emma899 New commenter

Hi everyone!
    I just found out last week that I've got a place on the PGCE at York SJ to start in Sept - now got the mad rush to sort my student finance and find somewhere to live. Is there anyone else in the same position or anyone with advice about where to live? Do I attempt applying for halls (pretty last minute) and risk living with a load of 18 year old freshers, or try to find something elsewhere?
    Thanks!

2. Hi there, I have just completed the PGCE at York St Johns and also did my undergrad degree there and lived in halls during my first year in 2006. I definately would NOT recommend moving into halls-very loud, lively and there would be nothing worse than being up for placement at 5am when your housemates are just coming home. Also the uni do not offer halls to PGCE students often.
    The course is SO demanding and you need a good nights sleep. Last year the uni set up a group on facebook called York St John housemate finder or something along those lines, for people starting the PGCE to communicate with others in the same boat and find accomodation. You could do a search on facebook and see if they have one for this year. If not look for house share with mature students. The groves in York is the most common place for this and it's 5 mins walk from uni.
    Vuitton xx