1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE year + wedding - any advice?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by becky70, Apr 13, 2012.

1. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I wouldn't just because I would want to enjoy the wedding and not be thinking about coursework and/or teaching practice.
    I got married in the summer holidays (after my NQT year) - I was totally switched off from work. Also, I'm never at work on my wedding anniversary - it is important to bear this in mind for the future.
    Good luck with your wedding plans and the PGCE.

2. Thanks for those tips, appreciated! I'll be mulling it over.. lots of factors to consider! I don't know what kind of things will be going on at easter timewith the PGCE, the officeperson sounded a bit harangued when I asked for provisional term dates. We'll see!

3. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Good luck with the wedding. Don't mean to cold call as it were but I make bespoke wedding stationary if you would like to know more

4. dash201

dash201 New commenter

Sorry but why not get married??? I am moving planning a big move abroad (with the future wife and dog), teaching full time and helping to plan the wedding!

As a teacher, we learn to balance our time and resources - get married, it will be good to help your organisational skills! The whole world is not going to implode or anything!

Congrats!

5. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I think it all depends whether you want a big do (which will take a lot of organising) or something small and informal which would be much more manageable. If it's the former I wouldn't try and do it during my PGCE year and if it is the latter it might be do-able.

6. bristolmover

bristolmover New commenter

Hi,
    I found the PGCE very stressful and full-on but maybe it would have been more pleasant if I had a wedding to plan? I don't know, it was a lot of hard work and time commitment...
    However, I am now in a temporary job, so looking for work for September, which may involve moving house, and I'm getting married in October! You can do anything if you set your mind to it. People cope with more, and less fun stuff than weddings... My mum taught while having 4 kids at home and did a masters at the same time!
    But maybe if you do it in Summer you'll feel generally happier and more relaxed on the day? Good luck.

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

harangued?
    ha·rangue (h[​IMG])
    n. 1. A long pompous speech, especially one delivered before a gathering.2. A speech or piece of writing characterized by strong feeling or expression; a tirade.v. ha·rangued, ha·rangu·ing, ha·rangues

8. harsh-but-fair

If you're trying to sell it, it would be a good idea to know how to spell it ... [​IMG]

9. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I think it depends on how much of a stress-monkey you are and how much there will be to organise. My daughter has just got married and in the last two months there was tons to do, dress fittings at weekends, speaking to and visiting venues, making favours and table decorations etc. All this you will have to fit around your course demands. I know I was very busy at that time of year in my PGCE but all institutions have different arrrangements. Easter is a nice time to marry tho I think especially if many of your guests work in education.

10. I had both venues booked for 29th May last year before I had even applied for my PGDE. There was some bad blood from the head of course who wouldn't allow me the next day off (which happily turned out to be a bank holiday as the wedding was a Sunday). My wife was in her final year of medical school so that turned out to be pretty intense as well.
    In the end, it meant some crazy nights where you didn't have a minute to yourself, but it actually wokred out quite well. The time spent in the course at the uni was never hugely time consuming unless in the library working on a paper. This meant a good degree of flexibilty to arrange meetings with photographers and stuff.
    We spent a couple of nights in a fancy hotel and delayed the actual honeymoon until the summer. That way we got to properly enjoy it before life sped up.

11. [​IMG]

12. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Done in haste - repented at leisure

13. harsh-but-fair

Almost my motto ...

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Have a small wedding that doesn't require lots of organisation if you're worried about the workload. After all. getting married is about making a commitment to the person you intend to spend the rest of your life with, not just about one day. Does it really matter when you get married? If it doesn't and you want a big 'do' then wait until your PGCE year is completed and you have time to focus on the arrangements rather than the next TP or assignment.

15. I'm a PGCE and have just made it past easter... just.
    I had two assignment dealines during the easter hols. And a plan due in for the next assignment as soon as we got back. Of course, I've had my lessons to plan and all of my marking to do, as usual. Even with two weeks off, this was HARD.
    You need to remember that a wedding day is not just the day... there's all of the organisation of course, plus there's the build up... things like stags and hens, family coming in, all that jazz.

personally, I would wait until the summer hols to do it. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it otherwise.

16. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I found that around Easter was the busiest time on my PGCE - I was trying to work on assignments and essays at the same time as doing my second teaching practice. The first term was easier as not so many assignments, but of course everything was new and scary... then the third term was busy as you teach 80% on your final teaching placement, but by then all assignments were handed in so I just had that to focus on.
    Saying that, if you fancy an Easter wedding then you will probably be just as busy the following year (assuming you're doing your NQT year).