1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE with QTS?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Gerry321, May 22, 2012.

1. The PGCE Primary course that I am on says that it give me a PGCE with a recommendation for QTS. Does this mean that I will not have QTS come the end of my studies? I was under the impression all along that I would be getting QTS with the PGCE.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. The PGCE Primary course that I am on says that it give me a PGCE with a recommendation for QTS. Does this mean that I will not have QTS come the end of my studies? I was under the impression all along that I would be getting QTS with the PGCE.

Any help would be appreciated.

3. QTS is not automatic at the end of a course. You will recieve it if you have passed your lesson observations etc. If you are doing well it will be fine and you will be awarded QTS - it's just not automatic e.g. someone could compelte the PGCE but not have a clue about teaching still if you see what I mean!

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Don't worry, it's just semantics.

Your course provider is the "awarding body" of your PGCE. Granting or not granting a PGCE is in their power.

But QTS can only be granted by the Department for Education. All any training provider can do is "recommend".

(and about the only way the DfE can reject such a recommendation would be if they had problems with the quality of the provider or if they believed there'd been fraud, etc., so, in reality, once you're "recommended", you've "passed".)

5. So, basically if I pass my placement and continue to the end of the course as a 'pass' I will be granted QTS? Will i receive a certificate from the DfE? When will this happen?

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Pretty much, yes.

Depending on how your course is moderated, the DfE may send an inspector to review some QTS files and you or one of your colleagues might even be asked for a chat about how your course provider has or has not supported you (that's a quality assurance check for them, not for you).

It would be very unusual (and indicating a very poorly run course) for anyone to not actually be "recommended" QTS at this point. Where it does happen, it's usually a case of some bit of paperwork not being right (typo on the number of days spent at a placement, that sort of thing) so it's very easily sorted out.

After that, it's essentially, a "rubber stamp" exercise. So you will know if you're getting QTS before the end of your course.

Well, I got mine from the GTC, but as they don't exist any more, I assume you'll get yours from the DfE, yes.

Within a few weeks of the end of the course. Most people get their QTS certificate before their university gets round to issuing the PGCE certificates.

7. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

And you must get both of your Skills Tests passed before the Uni can recommend you. Go beyond their final exam board and you may find yourself being an unqualified teacher. Simply because when you do get the test you were missing, admin staff at the Uni will be on leave so there'll be a delay sending it to the DfE. then DfE staff will be on leave so they will be delayed in conforming your QTS....

8. aminesh13

aminesh13 New commenter

Hello, i have secondary maths pgce interview at edgehill University .Any help regarding how hard it is to pass, what questions they ask and what they expect on the day. I have read online, but anybody who has been through??

9. stickittotheman

stickittotheman New commenter

It's worth creating your own thread - this hasn't been active since 2012 and it's about PGCE Primary courses, so you're unlikely to get a useful response.

pepper5 and celago22 like this.