1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE with a baby!!! Advice Please :(

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by schmards, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I would really like some advice from anyone who has children and has studied or is studyoing for the PGCE.
    I am due to start the PGCE in September but am really agonising over weather I am doing the right thing. I have a beautiful little girl who is 20 months old. I work part time at the moment and really miss her when I am work. I know this is only natural but Im so worried about leaving her in September. I am also really worried about coping with the work load as well as giving my daughter the attention she deserves.
    I have a fantastic husband and support network, who have all assured me they will support me. I really want to give my little girl a good future, and I feel teaching will benefit her in the future.
    If anyone can give a very confused Mummy some much needed advise, I would be very greatful,
    Thanks
    Vic

2. Hi,
    I would really like some advice from anyone who has children and has studied or is studyoing for the PGCE.
    I am due to start the PGCE in September but am really agonising over weather I am doing the right thing. I have a beautiful little girl who is 20 months old. I work part time at the moment and really miss her when I am work. I know this is only natural but Im so worried about leaving her in September. I am also really worried about coping with the work load as well as giving my daughter the attention she deserves.
    I have a fantastic husband and support network, who have all assured me they will support me. I really want to give my little girl a good future, and I feel teaching will benefit her in the future.
    If anyone can give a very confused Mummy some much needed advise, I would be very greatful,
    Thanks
    Vic

3. chyvan

chyvan New commenter

Not easy, Vic. I did PGCE with 6 to 16 month baby boy. Achievable with very supportive partner and friends, and good sleep.
    Actually gets harder the older they are, though. When they're small, they go to bed early (ideally!) and you can get on with work. As they get older, time in the evening when they need input stretches, so time to work gets squeezed, and you can end up starting work after 9.00 once you've eaten, which is not ideal at all.
    Better to get it done now, so by the time you need to give children time in the evenings, your workload has decreased due to stability and time in the job!
    You'll be fine!

4. Hi Vic!
    I am in the same situation - my daughter was 2 at the end of April. I have only been away from her a couple of hours for 2 days a week while doing my degree; I fell pregnant in the summer after my first year, had a year off to work full time and then started back when my daughter was 5 months old.
    I'm sharing all of your worries! And having lots of anxious thoughts about it all. Luckily, like you, I have a fantastic support network, and my mum (and hopefully my partner's mum) will be having her a day a week. Although I have a lovely lovely childminder, the thought of her being without family Monday till Friday really bothered me. She will also be starting playgroup for 2 hours a morning and I am really upset over the thought of missing Christmas plays / Easter concerts. Luckily my course doesn't start til 12th Sept so I an able to take her for her first week.
    So sorry, no real advice from me! Just letting you know there are others in the same boat as you and sharing every anxiety. I just keep myself sane remembering although it will be a hard year, it will be much better in the long run. My mum is a teacher and its fab having a parent around every weekend and all holidays - something not many children are lucky to have nowadays.
    The only advice I can give is from the experience of doing a degree with a baby. Just common sense stuff really and things that I'm sure you've learnt from working. Get everything ready (including clothes) the night before, and don't leave anything last minute. I once submitted an essay 2 mins before the deadline whilst clearing up sick and giving calpol - not an experience I'd like to re-live!
    Good Luck xx
    P.s I like to think being a mum may give us a slight advantage on the experience side :)

5. Sorry about the lack of paragraphs - damn iPhone! X

6. Hi Vic,
    I've just completed it with my 2 and 6 year olds along for the ride. You will need to organise your life with military precision, the diary will become your best friend, your housework will have to slide a bit, there will be moments of immense guilt. I have a very supportive husband, I couldn't have done it without him; it sounds like you have a good network around you which will be a massive help.
    My best advice is to 'keep your eyes on the prize', yes this year will be horrible and you will not have as much time with your little girl. But what you're doing isn't a selfish act, it is FOR your family...in the end they will have a Mummy with a decent income, who will always be around in the holidays, who is happy because they do a job they love and they can say proudly, "My Mum's a teacher".
    I'm taking my family to graduation in a couple of days, this was very much 'our' PGCE.
    Good luck!

7. Volderama

Volderama New commenter

My little boy was 19mths when I began my secondary science PGCE and although it was tough getting the balance between family life and planning/assignments, I think having J has definitely been a help and not a hindrance. Being a parent provides an extra level of focus IMHO and is a great antidote to procrastination!
    I finished my PGCE in the middle of June and have relished the past few weeks getting to know my son's day-to-day routine all over again. I've been able to drop his days at nursery for the summer hols and thanks to my wonderful husband and my parents I know he's in good hands when I'm at school. I think he'll have the best of both worlds as the 13weeks holidays is a significant amount of time to be a full time mum too.
    A PGCE is no picnic, but having children doesn't have to make it harder IMHO

8. A trainee that just finished at my school had a baby that was 16 months old at the END of her course[​IMG].
    I asked her how she coped, and she said it was mainly down to the fact that she had incredibly supportive parents who were doing the lion's share of the childcare, she was living at home, but her fiance was in Brazil (I think it was Brazil...) the whole time. I think she was amazing coping with it all!
    My point is, it is obviously doable, and the long term benefits will far outweigh the short term pain (no-one is denying that it won't be blooming difficult!!)
    Best of luck to everyone with little ones, I have 2 teenagers (16 and 14), so have different issues to be dealing with, but at least they can get their own dinner and put the washing out when I'm snowed under!

9. Hi Vic. I have just completed my 3 year degree and have two children. My eldest son turned 2 this month and my youngest son turned 1 last month. I have survived my degree, with no time out, due to the wonderful on site nursery at my uni and my ability to survive on very little sleep. I made sure I was organised, spent any free days with them all day and did uni work in the evenings. I am graduating with a 2:1, 1 point below a first and got a first for my dissertation. It is possible and totally worth it. I'm starting my PGCE in September and whilst not spending daytimes with them will be tough I know that in the long run, 13 weeks with my boys every year will be amazing. Chin up, you can do it!

10. Joanne2009

Joanne2009 New commenter

Hi,
    I am thinking of applying to do a PGCE (secondary science) in Sept 2012. I have a 3 year old girl and a 7 year old boy. My youngest will be at full time school in Sept 2012 so i think things will be easier as far as the guilt is concerned.
    I work part time at the moment (23 hrs) for the NHS and do weekend/on-call work so she is left with a childminder or hubby anyway.
    Go for it! Good luck!

11. What a lovely post! I love the idea of my daughter being at my graduation next year. She didn't come to mine this year as I felt it was unfair to expect a two year old to sit still and be quiet for the length of it! Really nice to read all the supportive and positive posts :) x