1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE whilst teaching at Independent school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by lemonsqueeezy, Jan 1, 2012.

1. I did the OU PGCE whilst working (almost) FT at school. Warning - you can be a good teacher or a good student teacher, but not both. Plus you may need to negotiate time in another (state/non selective) school, which, if it doesn't interfere with you own school, may be at the end of term (where sometimes it's difficult to get the right time of teaching). But I did mine about 10 years ago. Maybe someone else can offer a more recent perspective.Good luck!

2. sah79

sah79 Occasional commenter

I've been trying to get QTS whilst still working at my prep school but have found that the local GTP program willl not allow me to have any teaching responsibilities for the year I am on the course. This has meant essentially that I cannot do the course as I am the music teacher, therefore my school would have to employ someone else as HOD (as well as employ someone else whilst I'm on placement to another school) which they are not able to do so I would check that you really can continue in your current position with your current responsibilities whilst doing the course.