1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE was waste of time!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by vincemoran, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Hello,

After 20 years in Engineering (and completing a masters degree) I wanted to teach children and thought that going into teaching would be a good thing. So I packed in a £35k job and studied. That was in 2010! I still have no job teaching job and am obviously inferior to those with less real experience. I feel bitter that I have wasted my time and that I fell for the propaganda that DT teachers are sought after. Apparently, schools want their students taught by those with no experience. I have risked my house and future to become a teacher, with no reward[​IMG]! I have given up,

Kind Regards,

V Moran

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I feel for you. I have always been a big proponent of teachers having experience outside the classroom. Particularly in your subject. Also just after you trained DT was shafted a bit by the focus on EBacc.

On the other hand experience isn't the only variable, wouldn't even say in the top three qualities for an NQT. I think therefore your view on those staff beating you to jobs is a tad unfair.

To be blunt why have you lost out on jobs? A good practitioner with industry experience ticks boxes. How good a teacher are you? That is what you have to answer. Also, and I am reading a lot into a desperate post, I admit, You sound like you feel that because of your experience you are owed a job. Is this attitude where you have gone wrong?

Best of luck though. If financially you can, keep trying. I am sure it will come

3. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Hey, how are you doing?

After various other careers I qualified in 2010 - still live in hope however my wife is starting to job search for me in other fields. Have you completed your nqt year and are you temping in the meantime?

Go well,

enzo

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

"Inferior to those with less real experience"

Which implies you see teaching as not a "real" job.

5. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

Nil desperandum!! I was a mature entrant (I am now a semi-shrivelled one, but that's teaching!) A year ago my boss started targeting me with endless observations despite my excellent GCSE results. I couldn't ever have foreseen the Gove accelerated dismissal procedures, and that they would be used against me. I had a nervous breakdown too horrible to commit to print. I left. It took me 6 months to be well enough to look for work.

I registered to do supply and have work til the end of summer.

I was nervous as hell but put on a chirpy face. My point is that having been thoroughly dumped all over, I picked myself up and moved on. I have made my own luck. I have taken a big cut in pay to price myself back into work. The other day I lost out on a permanent job on my doorstep to an internal PGCE student less than half my age. The interview was a "going through the motions" job. The Head never even rang for feedback as he said he would. My family were more angry than I was. I've moved on.

As has been said, you need to avoid any sense of bitterness coming across at interview.

Presumably you haven't done induction or you would be doing supply?

Know it's financially hard, but you probably need to go down the LSA route to teaching or abandon the dream. I really can see how DT teachers feel let down by the government. But I can't see any improvement. In fact I see worse to come.

Finally, do reflect on CWadd's post. I am in awe of my friends who've done nothing but teach for 30 years. I simply don't know how they've done it. PS I met a 59 year old PGCE student the other day. He was loving it. I even pinched some of his ideas.

6. At least with a primary or secondary PGCE there is a constant demand. If you want t o talk about misleading marketing try the Lifelong Learning PGCE. After wasting a year completing this you can get teaching jobs which pay you a whole £8 to £12 an hour,if the employers are extravagant you get £15 on zero hour contracts for a few months, makes you feel it was all worth while (sarcastic lol). Prior to being misled by PGCE advertising I worked in a call centre and I had more employment security doing that than I've ever had post qualification. In fact two years after obtaining this useless qualification Ive had a whole nine months of teaching work in two years

7. ZanyInsany

ZanyInsany New commenter

Have you tried FE? I worked in industry, trained as a DT teacher and taught this subject for 13 years before moving to an engineering department in FE. We are crying out for ex-industrial staff to teach on our courses. The fact you already have your teaching qualification is a definite advantage. Have a look at some of your local FE providers. If there is no vacancy, it might still be worth submitting your CV so you get first consideration when there is... Good luck.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Zombie thread alert!

9. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Think of going overseas. DT teachers are highly prized and rare as hen's teeth. Ask @dumbbells66 !

10. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

rarer than rocking horse poo.... dont forget to check out IB schools. there is a hell of a lot more of them than Bitish schools

11. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

OP hasn't been seen for 4 and a hlaf years

12. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Well that might explain why there is such a shortage of DT teachers then ?

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Change directions and become a Mathematics or Physics Teacher.

yasf likes this.
  14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

DT in schools is in its death throes. Workshops closing, a dismally tedious and overloaded GCSE spec and small groups at A-level which will prove uneconomic as the cuts bite even deeper. If you really want to teach then maths or physics is the way to go.