1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE vs PGCert

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by may522, Sep 15, 2018.

1. may522

may522 New commenter

Hi everyone,

Hows everyone's training going? I'm currently training through SCITT, and I wanted to clarify the difference between a PGCE and PGCert. I am aware we get qts and a PGCert on the course I'm on, and we've been told that they are equivalent both having 60 masters credits, but I've yet to get a satisfactory detailed explanation.

I'm aware that PGCEs are usually needed to teach abroad but can PGCerts?

Thanks for your help!

2. Grefintec

Grefintec New commenter

When I did my PGCE 2016-17. We were told that you got a PGCE if you successfully passed the Master’s level units and that we would get a PGCert if we did not. Either way, my understanding is that both are recognised abroad.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The post graduate certificate is a university awarded qualification at post graduate level study. Very often they now contain Masters units which can be built up to a full Masters level qualification- the next stage from PGCE-to do this you need to add to the units achieved through further study sometimes these are offered as part of the NQT induction process.
    Post Graduate awards and Masters in themselves are not guarantees of overseas employment- most employers tend to look for experienced staff with a good track record in teaching the subject or phase. If you aim is to teach overseas then TEFL qualifications are the more direct route to achieve this.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

[QUOTE="may522, post: 12608169, member: 4595336"I'm aware that PGCEs are usually needed to teach abroad but can PGCerts?[/QUOTE]

I teach abroad. Many schools in many countries will not appreciate the difference between the PGCE and PGCert qualifications. What they want is QTS. They understand QTS.

5. blueskydreaming

TEFL qualifications will not secure a well paying role + benefits. @may522 complete your course, then 2 years in the UK, then you'll be able to get a job at an international school teaching your subject.

6. welshwizard

The caveat is that it depends upon what subject or phase you are teaching- also on how successful your teaching is- as measured by results. TEFL is the most direct route to overseas teaching with many programmes having a direct route into teaching- usually adults. It also depends upon which countries you are considering teaching in- QTS is recognised within the EU ( at present) not necessarily elsewhere. It can be the reputation of the university PGCE that helps secure a post.

7. blueskydreaming

As someone who is currently teaching abroad I have found that international schools do not focus on results when recruiting, but more on what you can offer in terms of ECAs (extra-curricular activities) or other skills/background; that previous experience living/teaching abroad is more important than where you completed your PGCE (although some schools will of course like an Oxbridge degree for your undergraduate/postgraduate degree) - in fact, in some countries it seems that having a spouse from that country is the path to career success; and that QTS seems to be accepted by all countries (I am in Asia, currently looking for jobs in the MENA region).

The OP is already enrolled on a teacher training course, so I really don't think they're interested in EFL. Gaining QTS before moving abroad to teach primary/secondary could be a good move for them. It was for me.

8. may522

may522 New commenter

Yes you're spot on. It's more about securing a position in an English secondary or primary school abroad if the need ever arises. But I appreciate all answers. It has definitely given me a clearer insight into the process of gaining a qualification. I am interested in continuing my studies and use my credits to get an MA. So am I right in understanding that and MA in education would essentially have a PGCE embedded in it?

9. blueskydreaming

No. PGCE courses often include some MA credits, which can be topped up to an MA. The MA is a separate qualification.

The PGCE teaches you to teach; the MA in Education does not.

10. welshwizard

Some NQT induction programmes include further MA modules to allow you to build upon your existing qualifications often when the school has existing links with universities from ITT.