1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE vs GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by racheleast, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have been offered a place on a primary PGCE, and I have an interview for a GTP (run through a school who have a training centre), does anyone have any advice on which route is best? Aside from the financial considerations (GTP I would get £15k salary, PGCE I would be paying £8500!) what do people think are the pros/cons?
    I think the GTP sounds great as from the start you spend 4 days in a class and 1 day doing theory so would get much more practical experience, any opinions/views?
    Thanks, Rachel

2. Hi
    I have been offered a place on a primary PGCE, and I have an interview for a GTP (run through a school who have a training centre), does anyone have any advice on which route is best? Aside from the financial considerations (GTP I would get £15k salary, PGCE I would be paying £8500!) what do people think are the pros/cons?
    I think the GTP sounds great as from the start you spend 4 days in a class and 1 day doing theory so would get much more practical experience, any opinions/views?
    Thanks, Rachel

3. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Bear with this as my paragraphs keep getting removed by google chrome!

I am currently in PGCE training with a SCITT, which is more like GTP but without the money! I have a friend who is doing a GTP and constantly feels completely snowed under, she is incredibly organised, but it's much more difficult than she ever realised. I have had pressure points in my course, but I am loving it, I get time to relax and chill out, but will be having almost as many hours teaching as she will across the year. It's a choice only you can make, if there had been a GTP place in my area I would have grabbed it (mainly for financial reasons) but for me the SCITT is a better option than a standard PGCE, I just love being in school as much as I am. I think it depends how much in school experience you already have, if it's very little then the GTP can be very full on whereas the PGCE will be a more gentle introduction. With a PGCE you get time to write assignments out of school practise, however, with SCITT and GTP you are writing assignments at the same time as teaching which can be pretty horrendous, teaching 60% of the timetable at the same time as doing all of the other tasks and writing an assignment can be overwhelming! Good luck!

4. Both routes will lead to QTS, in general the PGCE provides an academnic qualification as well. The fees are a consideration, though some PGCEs now offer large bursaries for minority subjects.
    For the GTP you need to be very much an independent learner, in some ways it depends on you which you will find better. If you need structure then a PGCe can often provide more than a GTP.
    James