1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE vs GTP?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by racheleast, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have been offered a place on a primary PGCE, and I have an interview for a GTP (run through a school who have a training centre), does anyone have any advice on which route is best? Aside from the financial considerations (GTP I would get £15k salary, PGCE I would be paying £8500!) what do people think are the pros/cons?
    I think the GTP sounds great as from the start you spend 4 days in a class and 1 day doing theory so would get much more practical experience, any opinions/views?
    Thanks, Rachel

2. Hi
    I have been offered a place on a primary PGCE, and I have an interview for a GTP (run through a school who have a training centre), does anyone have any advice on which route is best? Aside from the financial considerations (GTP I would get £15k salary, PGCE I would be paying £8500!) what do people think are the pros/cons?
    I think the GTP sounds great as from the start you spend 4 days in a class and 1 day doing theory so would get much more practical experience, any opinions/views?
    Thanks, Rachel

3. Have you accepted your PGCE place yet? Also when is your GTP interview?
    I know this sounds cheeky, but I wouldnt accept your PGCE offer until you've had your GTP interview and had a decision made. That way you can make a choice/the choice will be made for you. Bear in mind I don't know how long you get to accept an offer on GTTR.
    If I was in your position I'd interview for GTP and see what happens. I'd go for GTP over PGCE purely for the salary! I only applied for PGCE and wish I'd applied for GTP now too!

4. Congratulations on getting your PGCE place! Id still interview for the GTP place and get information on the school you would be in, as its a long time in one school if its not for you. Also, do you intend to stay in the UK? the PGCE enables you to teach abroad, whereas the GTP does not. I have accepted a PGCE place for September, and I did consider applying for a GTP place but decided not to (even though a salary seems very appealing!) as I feel I have not got enough experience in schools yet to simply be thrown in the deep end! Good luck, its fab you have options!