1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE vs GTP

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by carlenereid, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I was just wondering if anyone knows if you are taxed on the 14500 you earn doing the teacher training via the GTP route? Also can you still aply for the student loan on top of this? I am thinking of applying for a PGCE but I am worried about the financial side of things as I have been working full time for a year now and will have to take a large pay cut to do teaching but its something I really want to do. Thanks

2. I was just wondering if anyone knows if you are taxed on the 14500 you earn doing the teacher training via the GTP route? Also can you still aply for the student loan on top of this? I am thinking of applying for a PGCE but I am worried about the financial side of things as I have been working full time for a year now and will have to take a large pay cut to do teaching but its something I really want to do. Thanks

3. You are paid as an unqualified teacher, so yes, you are taxed and you also have to pay National Insurance contribitions on your salary. Your take-home pay will be around £11700 (£975 a month).

No, you cannot apply for student loan on GTP.

What subject or phase are you thinking of doing? If you are doing Secondary shortage subject, the amount you get on PGCE (which is all tax- and NI-free) will match what you get on GTP, plus you are eligible for Golden Hello in your second year of teaching, of between £2500 and £5000. For primary, you are probably better off on GTP, but finance shouldn't be the deciding factor. GTP and PGCE are quite different ways of training to be a teacher, and while some people (esp those with plenty of school or teaching experience) may probably suit GTP, others may do better on PGCE, with a balance of uni-based academic study and teaching practice.

4. Im applying for secondary science so I realise I'll get the 9000 bursary and golden halo. I know finance shouldnt be a deciding factor but i've just bought a house so need to be earning enough to pay the mortgage each month. I'm not sure whether to wait a few years and apply once i've got some money saved up but i'm worried if I do that i'll never get the courage to apply. Suppose I can always get a part time job too!

5. Finance should not be the factor that decides the training route you decide on. Too many people choose GTP for this reason and find themselves in at the deep end when a PGCE would probably have been the better route for them. I hate to burst a bubble for you but it is unlikely you will be able to hold down a part-time job as well as teacher training. Teaching is an exhausting and surprisingly physical job. You obviously need to cover the mortgage and do your sums but there is very little difference financially between the PGCE and GTP once you take into account that the PGCE is paid over 9 months and GTP over 12.

6. I am currently in two minds as to which to do but my reasons aren't financial. I do, however have one question which I was hoping someone may be able to answer for me? Can you apply for both the GTP and the PGCE at the same time?

I am currently looking at doing them in Maths but would like to add business as a second subject to it. I know Oxon GTP course allows you to do two subjects but finding it hard to find PGCE course that do. I have found one at UWE but struggling to find any information on the website about the course as it is new and as a result has started me questioning the choice of course.

7. Yes, you can, and should you get an offer from each, you can choose which one you wish to take up. But in fairness to those still waiting for an interview or offer, you shouldn't delay your decision unduly.

8. No I won't! I just want that option in front of me at the moment whilst I go through the last few bits of information. Thanks for the advise tho [​IMG]