1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE University of Dundee- Dubai

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jancie_dmello, May 23, 2017.

1. jancie_dmello

jancie_dmello New commenter

Online or Distance learning PGCE which can lead to an MEd. they give u an IB certificate too. Can anyone tell me about their experience with Dundee? Is it ok? I want to get a teaching job in dubai. I have Masters in Biotech and MA English but the schools want b Ed too or PGCE. Just want to know if this particular school is ok? Or am I just wasting my time and money?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If your aim is to teach overseas then a recognised TEFL qualification is the most direct route. PGCE's without QTS are not useful for teaching in the UK so many universities are marketing themselves overseas. You have to question the value of a teaching qualification which does not even prepare you for teaching in Scotland?

3. jancie_dmello

They are recognised by IB... I took a break in my career to raise a family. I want to get into teaching secondary school... based on my previous teaching experience I can apply for this certificate/diploma... just want a review of this Uni and this degree if anyone has done it.. I check on the gov.uk site and this uni is recognised.. they provide PGCE leading to an MEd degree via distance learning ..

4. welshwizard

Yes they are a recognised university but the point is with all postgraduate qualifications what is the value to you? Does the course look interesting and challenging, will it make you a better teacher. If you are looking for teacher training then there are other options for teaching overseas such as TEFL!

5. jancie_dmello

So ur saying TEFL is better?

6. jancie_dmello

Are u also saying with TEFL I can teach my subject in Schools overseas?

7. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Right, so you are currently in the UAE, or somewhere else in the world, and you are not British? You want to teach your subject in the UAE? (hopefully something to do with Biotech, not English, as even though you claim to have a Masters in English your English is appalling).

Dundee is a good university, if that is what you are asking.

However, looking at Dundee's website, they do not actually offer a distance learning PGCE. They do, instead, offer a distance learning Masters in Education - that is not the same as a PGCE though. The MEd is aimed at people who are already teachers - it does not teach you to teach, and if you do not have teaching experience they will not let you start the course. They would also require you to have a BA or Bsc from a recognised university. You would also need IELTS.

You need to find out what qualifications schools in the UAE actually want from people who are not British. For British people, schools in Dubai want us to have a PGCE in our subject. You cannot do this online though - you have to do it in the UK. A couple of universities do offer iPGCEs - Sunderland is one of them. If you did the iPGCE you would need to find a school that would allow you to work there before starting this course, then complete the course as you are working. I very much doubt that any school in the UAE would let this happen though, because jobs in Dubai and Abu Dhabi are very competitive, and there are so many qualified teachers applying to them.

You might have to return to your home country to complete teacher training there.

TEFL is Teaching English as a Foreign Language. If you did a TEFL certificate you'd only be able to teach English to non-native speakers, not your subject in secondary schools.

8. jancie_dmello

Thank you for pointing that out!! I do have a recognised MA degree in English.. I spoke to Dundee uni in Dubai.. they have 3 courses PGCE, PGDE and MEd. the credits u acquire with PGCE can be carried over if you wish to continue onwards to MEd. One can help others without making them feeling low.. life itself is cruel enough when educated people do not have jobs and drop outs are millionaires.. you need to empathise rather than sympathise..

9. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You're welcome for the help, by the way.

10. welshwizard

No what I am saying is TEFL is a route to teaching English overseas- the qualification needed depends upon what you would be teaching and in what sector. Acceptable qualifications vary from place to place.

11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think you missed the point. There isn't a distance teacher training option because those courses involve teaching placements in schools. You can do the PGCE or Masters but neither will qualify you to teach in the UK. Many schools abroad also want a PGDE or PGCE with QTS.
    The questions you have been asked are the important ones. Do you want to teach EFL abroad or do you want to become a primary or subject teacher? If it's the latter, the distance learning course is no good to you.

12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'd add that a university rep in Dubai is not best qualified to give advice on this. They will be advising on a range of options across courses and it is unlikely that they will have expertise in what the different courses offered by the school of education at Dundee actually involve.

13. Hi, i have a master's degree in chemistry and a teaching diploma in general sciences-chemistry. I also have 8 years teaching experience in high schools back in my country ( Lebanon). I came to UAE 5 years ago and haven't worked yet... other than IELTS , does any one know what I need ( a certificate.....etc) in order to find a job in respectful school?

Thank you