1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

PGCE Uni wants to see CRB-equivalent from foreign country

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ez84, Aug 20, 2010.

  1. I stayed about 10 months in a foreign country, a very small very much developing country.

    I don't have a CRB or anything like that from the country concerned, although I have references from the school I worked at.

    The university where I have my PGCE place says in its documents that they want to see one.

    Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? Do you think my references will be enough?

    Any advice?


  2. AudyR

    AudyR New commenter

    My uni accepted 2 character references from professionals eg employer or family doctor, specifically stating that I had not been convicted of any offence. I would give the university CRB office a call to confirm what is acceptable.
  3. Autumn87

    Autumn87 New commenter

    Hi there,
    I need a couple of different police checks since I lived for more than 3 months in both Asia and Eastern Europe. I contacted the police in the relevant countries and asked for a basic criminal record check for them and it wasn't as painful as I imagined it would be, although one of the countries took a good few months to process it. I am surprised your University haven't asked for it before now! Even though the country was small it could still be worth contacting the embassy and asking them if there is any procedure in place for this. Good luck.
  4. I did a year abroad in Spain as part of my degree and I had to get a certificate of good conduct from the Spanish police. I went to Madrid to get it in the end because it actually worked out cheaper, even with the flights and accommodation, and was a lot quicker, but I could have gone through the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. I've pasted the website link below. It only has a few (all big, developed) countries, but you could maybe contact them to ask if there's anything similar in place for the country you lived in. Or as someone else said, phone your uni's CRB department and ask them what you need to do as they may have had the same problem before. Good luck!
  5. Thank you all for your advice and experiences.
    I'm looking into all the things you've suggested.
  6. Look on the country's govt website if they have one.
    I had to get a Spanish one and instead of forking out for the FCO fees, I arranged it myself. I didn't have to send any original documents, just a stamped copy of my passport and a form.
    FCO offered to do it for me in around 8 weeks for £130ish pounds.
    Spanish government posted it to me within ten days of sending it off and including all admin costs (cost of transfer etc) it came to less than £30!

    Might be worth asking the uni's study abroad department or, if they have one, get in touch with the overseas residence team within the languages department.
  7. I had to get one from Korea when I was a TA as the agency said it would be needed. I went to the Korean consulate in London, gave them my name and passport number and they sent me a police certificate. No one has ever asked to see it for PGCE, jobs or anything! If they have an embassy or consulate here I would try there first.
  8. John_in_Luton

    John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

    Not all countries will provide a 'certificate of good conduct', as it's often known, so check with the CRB office at the uni as to whether that particular country provides one. If they do, then you've got heaps of good advice here on how to obtain it. And keep the copy of whatever you get, as you'll probably be asked for it again next time you have to get a CRB (as an NQT, hopefully!)
  9. Thanks guys.
    Well I can't get in touch with my uni CRB person so don't know what they're gonna say.
    Am trying to reach people in the country by letter and email so we'll see what happens. I can tell you, if such thing as CRB even exists there, it's not going to be a simple matter to get one.
    What fun.
  10. I realise that you posted this ages ago but I'd appreciate advice if you're still around.

    Who did you have your passport copy stamped by for the Spanish certificado de antecedentes penales? I've read that it needs to be the Spanish Consulate in London on the British Embassy in Madrid website but the Ministerio de Justicia website just says it can be done in any public organism or notary. I just don't know what they would regard as acceptable.

    Also, did you have yours stamped with the apostille of hague or some such thing? I've read about this being needed to legalise the certificate for use in the UK but I don't really know what it is or if it's necessary.

    Will try calling my university after the bank hol but would really LOVE some advice if possible!
  11. Could you tell me exactly what you had to do when you got to Madrid? This may be what I end up doing as well, as I really want to get this certificate sorted!

Share This Page