1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE transfer from Lifelong learning sector to secondary or primary PGCE: possible?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by gruddy, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hello
    Up to now, I thought that doing a PGCE in Lifelong learning sector is what I want to do since my tutor's job for the past 3 years has been working with adults 16+ in the private education sector. I am just finishing the 1st year of 2 as I'm doing the PGCE course part time. I have been made redundant and all the jobs' vacancies I seem to come across are in the primary and secondary sectors. Seeking advice for further employment, I was given the ultimatum, or felt that way: teach in primary or secondary schools and you will never have to worry about finding a job ever again!! I enjoy teaching adults or children seems irrelevant at this moment and time. There are great differences between teaching adults and teaching children, but I am more than willing to give it a good go and I am a very flexible openminded person.
    Question: Will I be able to transfer for the second year of PGCE in to the secondary or primary route or will I have to start from scratch i.e. apply for a PGCE and wait if I will get a place?
    Many thanks to those who reply...I am really desperate!

2. Hello
    Up to now, I thought that doing a PGCE in Lifelong learning sector is what I want to do since my tutor's job for the past 3 years has been working with adults 16+ in the private education sector. I am just finishing the 1st year of 2 as I'm doing the PGCE course part time. I have been made redundant and all the jobs' vacancies I seem to come across are in the primary and secondary sectors. Seeking advice for further employment, I was given the ultimatum, or felt that way: teach in primary or secondary schools and you will never have to worry about finding a job ever again!! I enjoy teaching adults or children seems irrelevant at this moment and time. There are great differences between teaching adults and teaching children, but I am more than willing to give it a good go and I am a very flexible openminded person.
    Question: Will I be able to transfer for the second year of PGCE in to the secondary or primary route or will I have to start from scratch i.e. apply for a PGCE and wait if I will get a place?
    Many thanks to those who reply...I am really desperate!

3. There is rarely if ever any transfer between other training courses and PGCE secondary or primary.
    You will almost certainly have to apply afresh for PGCE and start from scratch.