1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE training

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by amy_m_wright, Nov 12, 2018.

1. amy_m_wright

amy_m_wright New commenter

I am hoping to be accepted onto a Secondary English PGCE, if successful my interviews will take place relatively soon and I would just like some advice on what to brush up on for the interviews.

Also, I am currently studying a degree course which is not closely related to an English degree, I am told this is completely acceptable if you possess the knowledge and also take a SKE (Subject Knowledge Enhancement) course, if they offer you a place.

I was just wondering if you know any books that will help me with the current curriculum knowledge? I’m finding it hard to find some online,

Thanks for any help!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Your best bet is to visit a campus bookshop or one near a university with the ITT course. National curriculum English KS3 and 4 should be your starting point- these are online. Study guides for KS3/4 aimed at pupils are also a good source

3. KellyStark123

KellyStark123 New commenter

Hi there,

I am currently a PGCE English student in a secondary school. Although I have a degree in English, I still completed the SKE with TES and found it incredibly useful for the lessons I am now teaching.
    Unfortunately there isn't a bible that has everything in about teaching. One of the issues I found was the sheer amount of literature covering everything from subject pedagogy to behaviour management, and how, when faced with planning and delivering lessons in addition to 'on the job' training and development, I was going to mentally compute so much new information.
    So, my advice to you on getting a head-start; learn how to reflect on everything you do. Consider why you did something in a certain way, how it affected things and what you can learn from it. From my short time in the profession, we are only able to improve when we reflect on what we have learnt and are learning. It sounds like a simple concept, and in some ways it is, however it can be a difficult and monotonous process.
    Secondly, find out the examining board of your placement school. Each one is different and assesses students via different specifications.This also affects the texts that you will teach. For me, this was one of the single most important influences on how I approach each topic. You will already have the subject knowledge for your subject before you get in the classroom, so the focus has to be on 'how' to be the most effective teacher. If you know the exam specification, you can tailor your lessons to suit the criteria. Some may argue this teaches to the exam, but in order for students to attain their best grades, we as teachers need to give them the best skills to achieve them, and unfortunately that can mean drilling home certain techniques that are specific to any given exam board.
    Thirdly, ask your prospective school for a reading list of all their texts. Start reading as soon as you can so that you are at least familiar with them.
    Some of the best publications that I have read include, 'Developing Professional Knowledge and Competence' by Michael Eraut and 'Essential Teaching Skills' by Chris Kyriacou. Both of which cover my point about self-reflection and development.
    Hope you found this helpful.
    Good luck!

amy_m_wright likes this.