1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE trainee not wanting to teach the subject anymore... advice

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lolo06, Oct 19, 2019.

1. lolo06

lolo06 New commenter

Hiya,

I am almost one term into the pgce and I am enjoying teaching the kids. The course is super intense but I am coping, I am however really re-considering my subject.
    I have a business background and small computing experience, I did the SKE and feel confident in teaching up to year 11 in computing theory but not programming. They have said in order to complete the course I will need to take some a-level lesson which is stressing me out.
    I dont want to drop out but its causing me anxiety, and I have observed several business lesson which I LOVED!

Due to the bursary and that fact Im to far into the course, should I hang on and apply to teach business in the NQT year? or do I have to do it in the subject I trained in?
    Does any one know if I can fail my pgce if I am not confident with a part of the curriculum?

Your help is appreciated

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Talk to your tutors. You won't be the first person to have felt like this and your tutors will be able to explain your options and discuss them with you.

3. Grefintec

Grefintec New commenter

Your PGCE is only up to age 16 teaching, the A-Level lesson will be for experience only. My A-Level lesson was made up of self discovery opportunities, and my starter was really random! They essentially had to teach themselves. So, try not to worry about it. Once you have your PGCE you can teach any age, stage, subject - as long as you can demonstrate that you can.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. rolls

rolls New commenter

i echo the comment above. It is good to have some A level experience on your CV so do not turn down the opportunity. Ask for help from the A leveL teachers at the school and this could be a good experience. You will be judged primarily on your 11-16 lessons. Once qualified it up to you what jobs you apply for. There is no reason at all why you could not end up teaching business and lower school computing.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

If your course is 11-16 then A levels are optional. If it’s 11-18 then it’s mandatory. Quite a simple answer. You can either refuse, rightly, or you have to do it.

However, a small secret - A level isn’t the big deal it makes itself out to be. You read the spec, look at past papers, look at past projects and exam answers and it’s all really quite teachable.

agathamorse and Stiltskin like this.
  6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Also there is also a lot more to computing (assuming that's your pgce) than programming. Post 16 also includes options other than computer science which may have very little programming in it. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you're still not confident in your programming I'd recommend reading the book teach yourself python in 24 hours. Also look up the PRIMM model (sue sentence) if you've not been introduced to that yet

agathamorse likes this.