1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE to TA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by AnnieSL, May 11, 2018.

1. AnnieSL

AnnieSL New commenter

Hi,

I am taking some time out of my PGCE - I was only two months or so off finishing it but was really struggling and dreading the NQT year so feel like I have totally made the right decision.
    However, the people I have approached so far seem determined to get me Into a supply or cover supervisor role which makes me think I would be as well doing my PGCE. I want a TA role.
    Not that I am an expert on the role of a TA but I guess it is a job I might not have to take home of a night - apologies if this is not correct. I certainly won’t have assignments and I’m guessing lesson planning etc.

So can anyone give me any advice on how to seek a TA role rather than a supply/cover role?
    The folks I have spoken to so far seem to think I am now overqualified to be a TA - even though my tutor thinks it would be a great way to spend the next few months before I go back to uni.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

amazing06 likes this.
  2. annie2020

annie2020 New commenter

Apply for TA jobs rather than supply/cover roles??

freckle06 and harsh-but-fair like this.
  3. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

They are probably trying to get you into teaching roles since you are an economically-good option for this, having recent teaching experience and training whilst not being qualified and necessitating greater pay. You will probably have to be firmer over the role that you want.

4. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Conceptually, perhaps, Teachers and TAs are divided in labour terms much like doctors and nurses, drivers and porters, ... so how porous do you think the boundary really is?

5. AnnieSL

AnnieSL New commenter

I guess it’s more to do with one’s own personal boundaries lie and my preparedness to know when boundaries are being pushed eh?

6. AnnieSL

AnnieSL New commenter

The double question marks suggest that this is a no brainer? I am new to all this...

7. wendywooness

wendywooness New commenter

I did similar to you, except I left my PGCE completely. I would never return. I’m working as a TA now and I love it. It’s everything about teaching that I loved without the parts I didn’t - extra stress of marking, planning, data etc. I have no TA qualifications but my school were very happy to take me on as a TA with my ITT experience (if unfinished.) and obviously you will have a degree too, so that’s sufficient for a TA post. I think you’ll find you’re not the only one who has left doing ITT, even if you do mean to go back.
    Good luck !

amazing06 likes this.
  8. AnnieSL

AnnieSL New commenter

Thank you Wendy Woo, that is a very encouraging reply. I am finding at the moment that people are telling me I am too qualified for a TA role but in the next breath they want me to start work in the morning doing supply! It’s such a shame that schools are apparently such diabolical establishments to work in that it’s come to this.
    how much of your PGCE did you do btw?

9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi Annie
    Go ahead and apply for TA roles. You will need to be honest about taking a break from your PGCE, but keep it short and simple, along the lines of 'for personal reasons, this was not the right time or place for me to be completing this and I have decided to explore other roles in education'. Then go on to talk about the experience you have had in schools and all the amazing talents you can bring to the job. I think you will find a post quite quickly - now is the right time to be looking for September jobs. Every SLT is aware of the huge pressures on teachers today and knows that many teachers are looking to make other choices, but want to stay in education. They will be well aware that there may be more to your dropping out than you have chosen to reveal, but really strong TAs are not always easy to find, and if you can convince them that you can be that person, your history won't be important. I have often been involved in recruitment of TAs (and HLTAs, which might be something to think about) and have, in the past, employed two ex-teachers to the role. One of them (the most successful) had struggled through her PGCE and NQT year but knew she never wanted to teach a class. She took a complete break (to raise her family) for a few years before applying for TA roles. She was amazing in the job!
    You will of course need to be aware of the salary difference ... TA wages are very poor ... no one goes into the job for the financial reward! But if you can cope with that, then go for it. It's not a lifetime commitment, and in a year or two you may decide to return to your teaching plan. Best of luck.

amazing06 likes this.
  10. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Do you only want a TA job for a few months? You may find this difficult if it is for such a short period as most schools are looking at a year or more.