1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE teacher training interview help

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Vkitley, May 25, 2020.

1. Hi there!

I have applied for teacher training through UCAS and have interviews lined up for this Friday. My chosen subject is Geography (what I studied, albeit many years ago). I am from South Africa and as such, not so familiar with the various curriculums etcetera in the UK.

I have been asked 1) to do a 5 minute presentation on any aspect of 2014 National curriculum for KS3. I only have 5 minutes, so would have to be something relatively simple. Would something like soil erosion or river erosion be suitable at this level? Any advice welcomed.

Secondly, I am being interviewed by the partner school as well and have been asked in addition, to prepare a 10 minute presentation on " the most important educational issues in your subject. Please try to avoid covering issues to do with funding or other political issues in education and ensure you are familiar with the GCSE specifications in your subject and the new Ofsted Framework" and I am stumped. I don't have school experience, so this is a brand new venture and topic for me!!!

I would really appreciate any help in these areas.

Many thanks

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

You can look up the national curriculum online very easily so check there for an appropriate topic for your first interview.

As for an issue with teaching geography, I would think something like ensuring children from disadvantaged backgrounds have the same access to field trips as middle class children at school i.e. everyone going somewhere accessible

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

The interviewer wants to establish that candidates have some basic knowledge about teaching before applying to train as a teacher. It is also a signal to you that they expect you to know these things before starting the course - they won't be taught during the course.

1) You need to know what the geography curriculum in the UK looks like. You won't be expected to have an encyclopedic knowledge of it, but you need to know what kind of aspects are appropriate for each age group. Do you know where you can find this information? If not, this is a good place to start: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ulum-in-england-geography-programmes-of-study

2) You need to have some background knowledge about teaching geography in the UK. You won't be expected to know a lot, but they want you to be entering teaching with a realistic expectation of the current state of affairs. Spend some time browsing teaching forums or Facebook groups, or reading educational websites or magazines for the current 'hot topics'. This is a good article with some links to educational websites: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-an...ning-and-education/current-educational-issues

Stiltskin likes this.