1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Success! Now Help?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Jillatha, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I had my interview for Mathematics PGCE at Nottingham University yesterday and was successful at interview and I am over the moon!
    I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any good books or papers to read or offer any general advice
    Thanks
    Jill

2. Hi,
    I had my interview for Mathematics PGCE at Nottingham University yesterday and was successful at interview and I am over the moon!
    I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any good books or papers to read or offer any general advice
    Thanks
    Jill

3. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Congrats! I'm on my PGCE now and I wish I'd done a bit more reading into how children learn before I started. Every course is unique but I feel like I could have done better so far if I'd understood this element better from the beginning. You'll probably have 'Learning to Teach in the Secondary School' as a core text, so that's a good starting point!

4. Im half way through my PGCE currently, but its History not Maths, so subject wise Im not much help. Id say just make sure you have A LOT of stationary, plastic folders etc!
    Also on your first placement, make the most of it being slightly more relaxed and try some imaginative things. Try and think about different angles and ways to get the kids involved, try them and then try some more. Everyone says it, but I didnt listen enough! If you try them at your first school, then you have a better idea of what works for you when you come to your longer second placement. This is assuming your course follows the same structure as mine!

Congratulations and good luck!

Tom

5. What you need depends on what you need to be developed on. If you have limited knowldge on KS3 maths then you may want to learn that on the flip you may be at ease with that but have no idea of the GTC code of conduct...You could get that and annotate it and kill one of the 33 standards. Do the reading which will make the year easy instead of having to find evidence as you go
    Find the 33 standards, manufacture situations where you will find that evidence
    here are some examples
    http://wiki.bath.ac.uk/display/handbooksdeps/Example+QTS+Evidence
    Much of what you will do in this year is not a true reflection of teaching.

6. General Advice:
    • Keep on top of your standards log (Jot down anything you do that might meet a standard so you don't forget)
    • Observe other teachers (not just your mentor/department) to see good practice in both delivery of lessons and BFL. Learning a variety of teaching strategies will take you a long way.
    • Be firm but fair with the students, if you give an inch, they'll take a mile - and the word will get round your abit of a softy and you may start to fight a losing battle. if you give out threats such as phoning home, DT's etc...follow them up every time so they know your on top of them at all times etc.
    Theres so much advice that people can give...you'll pick it up along the way.
    Good Luck.

7. Hi.
    Congratulations on making it this far!
    I'm half way through my secondary maths PGCE.The recommended precourse reading was:
    Learning to teach in the secondary school by susan capel, Issues in teaching mathematics by Sue Johnston-Wilder, Thinking Mathematically by J Mason, Developing Thinking in Geometry (also algebra and statistics) by Open University, Teaching Maths using ICT, Oldknow, Taylor and Tetlow, Becoming a succesful teacher of mathematics by howard tanner.
    I was also advised to start reading about educational issues in the news, especially the recent white paper, go over all those old GCSE maths books (and A level if appropriate) and then watch as much teaching as you possibly can (teachers tv does count but isn't as good as the real thing)
    Finally, if you aren't familiar with Powerpoint then learn it now. Likewise Promethean (for interactive whiteboards) An online tutorial can be found on the Promethean planet website (other interactive whiteboards are available) and finally, and my favourite getting the bu**ers to behave series by Sue Cowley.

8. Just in case anyone does see this (I know I'm a year late) following on from HLWhitby, Promethean is an essential in 99.9% of schools now. My old place of work sold (in part) other branded whiteboards and the market is so tightly held by Promethean it's almost guaranteed you will be using one during your PGCE year.
    But think about it positively. It's a little bit like a more detailed MS paint and who didn't use paint at school :)

9. Hi Jill, I start my Mathematics PGCE this Sept with Notts Uni and I was wondering how you were finding the course?
    I've got a few KS3, GCSE and A level books I'm going through and read TES every week. I've spent a week in a secondary and have a week booked in a primary but unfortunately I can't take anymore time off work to get more experience than that. Is there anything else you can recommend I should do before I start?

Thank you

P.S. Sorry about the layout, Safari doesn't seem to like paragraphs!!