1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE STUDENT PLACEMENTS

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by minnieminx, Apr 2, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I do sympathise, though my experience isn't half as bad as yours. nor even in the same league.

I too have had many students over the years, but my first one in a new school (with a new university) was a nightmare. Like you say; ignored all advice, told me what I should do, spoke badly about me in the staffroom (not that she got any sympathy), told her tutor I was a nightmare to work with, and so on.

My HT was a fabulous support and listened to my tearful concerns, frustrations and hurts several times. If you didn't this time, I would definitely recommend keeping them fully informed. (I'm primary, might be a different person in secondary.)

To be honest, in future I would have involved the university tutor from an earlier stage (the student was struggling a little as a teacher anyway) and to a greater degree. By the time I did, I think it was too little too late.

It is hurtful when someone throws it all back in your face. But your boss and the university know the real situation and so will not think the worse of you. This student has lost any chance of a reference or a post in your school or in any where your boss knows the HT appointing. In the long run they will be the one suffering. My student has no hope of a teaching post in her current school (she is a TA), nor in mine, nor in any where either HT knows the prospective HT.

Best of luck with the next student. You will get over this in the end. Until you do there is always G&Ts!

2. davi_theuk

davi_theuk New commenter

sorry, but maybe he was right? I mean my mentor also thinks he is helpful etc, but in fact he is is just annoying and talkative.

3. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

As a current pgce student im inclined to say that your student was just an ungrateful know-it-all who didn't know how to take criticism and threw a wobbly!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Right to just not turn up to placement? Right to send sulky emails? Right to not listen to a word of advice about teaching? Seriously?

5. davi_theuk

davi_theuk New commenter

it would be good to hear both sides... I am sure the student would also have something to say.

6. Many thanks for your supportive comments. It amazes me that some of the posts seem to forget that we all went through it to get tot where we are now plus no matter how blatant or discreet advise/guidance is given to some students - if an students attitude and approach is poor then it is extremely difficult.

Thanks again!

7. Wow if only all fully qualified, experienced teachers could have your insight! You think your mentor is annoying and talkative why not just dive straight in and teach a mixed ability class of 30 with EAL, SEN and major behavioural issues in an inner city school as you seem to know it all.

8. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

Just wishing to play devils advocate here:

On my PGCE there were some awful students who I wouldn't want in my classroom ever and I can only imagine how awful they were to their mentors. One guy told his mentor he wasn't going to teach that week because he had a uni assignment to do.

On my first placement I did make a comment to my mentor regarding something to do with subject knowledge when she told pupils something inaccurate. I felt awful and so embarrassed saying it but I felt I had to.

Second placement was far different. Mentor took a dislike to me instantly and made my life hell to the point I was crying every day and was hoping someone would drive into my car on my way to work. I had emails about her to the univeristy tutor and had them come in for extra meetings. She even accused me of stealing a sex ed tape from the 1970s. God only knows what she thought I was going to do with it!?!?!

Anyway, my point is I often wonder how my second placement mentor viewed our situation, her giving me 4s regularly, underminding me infront of pupils and telling me my teaching just wasn't good enough.

9. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I would like to add I am not accusing you of anything like my mentor was but I do find it a little unnecessary that you would post this on the student forum where people are posting because they are having bad experiences and may now end up feeling worse and though it is their fault. Perhaps it would have been better in the key stage section.