1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE student pay for own DBS?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by geoteach2020, May 22, 2020.

1. geoteach2020

geoteach2020 New commenter

Hello!

I am starting my PGCE in September and I have just had to pay for my own DBS check by the university?

I’m a bit baffled that I’ve had to pay for it considering the tuition fees I am paying to the university?!

Is this normal practice at every university?

TIA

2. hugoed

hugoed New commenter

I had to at my uni!

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I'm not aware of any. How much did they charge you?

4. geoteach2020

geoteach2020 New commenter

£40! not a lot to many but I’m a student that has been made redundant from corona so not happy LOL!

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I wondered if it was for the update service. I hope your university treats you a little better over the rest of the course

6. gma

gma New commenter

All Health and Social care and Childcare students at college have had to pay this for years

7. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

I don’t think that would have been for the update service. I paid for that recently for a new job (which I will be able to claim back once I start) and it was £13.

I can’t remember if I had to pay for mine at uni or not, seems quite unreasonable but universities are trying to save money at the moment I guess

8. inkymark

inkymark New commenter

I have been at SCITT and I did not pay for my DBS check - I think each place has its own rules on this.

9. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

I didn’t have to pay for mine. I suppose it varies from uni to uni.

10. violetacat

violetacat New commenter

I had to pay for mine, I think it is quite common for PGCE students.

11. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

SCITT is school based so they have to pay for it. Universities can choose whether or not to. I do recommend you register it with the Update Service, within 28 days of receiving it, and pay £13 pa thereafter. That way if anyone else wants to check your DBS they can check online or pay for a new one themselves.

12. safnor

safnor New commenter

I had to pay for mine £50. It was done online. I thought it was the norm

plus I need to pay the doctors surgery £30 for my health check forms