1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE starting in September 2020?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by TheDunwichHorror, Jun 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TheDunwichHorror

TheDunwichHorror New commenter

Hi all,

With the recent developments regarding schools happening I am curious to find out if anyone has any info on how PGCE courses will be affected? Will they go ahead?
    I'm due to start my PRIMARY PGCE in September but it's unclear whether the course will actually start in September or how this will impact school placements.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, they are going ahead. They will run as per usual except just like everyone else there will be some changes. So no mass lectures, but there will be seminars. Schools will be full and every room contains a teacher and pupils. Those classes are likely to be smaller and split and available pedagogy will be affected. Contingency plans have been drawn up in case you, your mentor or the school get caught in test and trace. The DFE has been asked to waive normal evidence for teachers' standards where Covid19 prevents this from being demonstrated.
    Otherwise, all go. My thanks to you for becoming a trainee.

3. segephka

segephka New commenter

Hi, Could I ask where you got this information? I am also doing a PGCE in September but have heard nothing from my university on what the course will look like, and the Get Into Teaching site is not very informative. Thanks.

Anon12322222 likes this.
  4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I’m a course leader so this is pretty on the money and the DFE stuff comes from the DfE. They’ve, since I posted, given the same waivers for next year as this year so we can be flexible about requirements. All systems go.

PGCE_tutor likes this.
  5. CocoaChannel

CocoaChannel New commenter

I’m due to be starting a SCITT in September. I’m sure such courses will start around then in some format, but the practicalities will surely have been considered.

Full classes of 30 or so secondary students isn’t going to happen in September. That’s obvious.

So class sizes will be reduced. My concern is there might not be space in a new-style classroom for a trainee teacher to observe or be observed.

Also, at the end of a very odd 2020/1 academic year, how will PGCE/SCITT graduates be viewed by employees? After all, they’ll have taught much smaller class sizes than normal.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

They’ll be passed and hired as normal. We need tens of thousands of new teachers every year. Each wave of new NQTs is vital. You’ll still learn how to teach classes of 30, but then also be trained in how to teach the same lesson to a class of 15 in a socially distanced way. You’ll further be trained in how to teach online to those at home. The NQT period is going up to 2 years and you’ll have further support there in how to teach larger classes as and when the restrictions subside.

I can’t really speak for SCITTS. It’s likely they will possibly suffer more localised disruption. That would be a case by case. Mine is a large university course with hundreds of partner schools. So I can control the training side effectively whilst some trainees will suffer variable localised disruption for which the DFE has given me flexibility to ensure they pass. Your course has the same flexibility so you should be fine on that side of things.

safnor and CocoaChannel like this.
  7. CocoaChannel

Thanks for the interesting insight.

I'd say SCITT candidates or those starting such a course this September have to factor in, or at least come to terms with, how Covid-19 will change a few things. The first choice of school may have to change, for example. Some SCITT providers also allocate trainees to a school straight away, even involving that school during the application process.

It's all speculation, but I'd certainly be asking course providers about their plans. You're paying £9000+ for the course, so they should be thinking about changes for this September.

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, it is likely that original mentors may also change (shielding, retiring to avoid Covid19, etc.) It will be a struggle, but if trainees are flexible and resilient and understand that schools and providers are working hard to ensure the best course that can be delivered is out into place for you, then it will be fine.

I have an online conference with mine in a few weeks so will be talking to them all about the journey ahead.

CocoaChannel likes this.
  9. CocoaChannel

Thanks MrMedia, I’m feeling a bit more reassured more

10. GenericPrimaryTeacher1

GenericPrimaryTeacher1 New commenter

On a similar topic, I've been quite anxious about my training as well. As I'm planning to apply for a 2021 start, what is the likelihood that it won't go ahead?

11. CocoaChannel

No one knows what’ll happen. It might be a “great” time (nothing great about the situation) to do teacher training as there’ll be more teachers needed. I’d apply anyway, get an offer and then you can choose to go ahead or not.

12. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

If anything we are going to need more teachers. Smaller classes and older staff retiring mean that a way to train new teachers will have to be found. Please apply, schools need you. If potential students don’t apply then we will soon have teacher shortages in most of our cities. It will be different but it may actually be a good time to train as there will be a range of interesting job opportunities.

CocoaChannel likes this.