1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Southampton Uni- Please help

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by jd2011, Jan 14, 2011.

1. HI all,
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I have a PE PGCE interview at the end of January and am trying my hardest to prepare.

Has anyone had a PE PGCE interview yet? Do you know the types of questions that have been asked?
    Also, I am trying to research current issues within the PE curriculum, can any one give me an idea of places to find these?

Thanks
    </td></tr></table>

2. HI all,
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I have a PE PGCE interview at the end of January and am trying my hardest to prepare.

Has anyone had a PE PGCE interview yet? Do you know the types of questions that have been asked?
    Also, I am trying to research current issues within the PE curriculum, can any one give me an idea of places to find these?

Thanks
    </td></tr></table>

3. Hi,

Genereal PGCE Q's could be:
    - Why you want to teach
    - eg's of when you've been impressed by your abilities to teach/work with younger adults
    - What makes you different from anyone else on the course
    - eg's of demonstrating the usual buzz-word skills like teamwork, leadership, communication, problem solvning etc..

I'm doing my Masters Thesis on Assessment in PE which has loads of issues surrounding it. How a PE teachers philosophy informs what the teacher expects all 'good' PE students to be able to do, which informs what that PE teacher is looking for to award marks for, which informs the teachers ability to assess pupil performances validy and reliably.
    Role of coaches in extra-curricular activities may help? and how funding was removed, then partially re-instated. What is the point of these initiatives? mass participation to address health issues like obesity or to identify and train the best atheltes to promote success at the elite level?

hope that helps.

4. Thank you very much, you have been of great help and will continue to research around these areas.

5. I am looking to find current issues in PE. To me this would include: Obesity, issues is mixed ability classes and mixed sex classes. Could some one let me know if im am on the right lines,or if there are other issues I could research?

Thanks in advance

6. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

How about I go and sit the interview for you?
    Seriously you should know the issues because you will have been in a school and observed PE lessons from a teacher's point of view.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Harsh but true GGJ
    I don't often agree with you GGJ, but I do here.
    There seems to be a certain degree of helplessness in some threads recently, particularly asking for ideas for research papers. Use some initiative.
    I just googled 'current issues in Physical Eduction'. Took me 3 seconds.
    http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=current+issues+in+physical+education&aq=0&aqi=g2g-v1g-o1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=cf592783d6a8df20
    I am sure a couple of minutes, tryiing different inputs woould produce even more.
    You should have some idea from being in school yourself both as an older pupil and also as an observer.
    Go back to your local school, ask for a meeting with your old Head of PE. If he/she is worth their salt, they will help you.
    If they won't help, approach other schoos' PE teachers.
    I haven't been in UK for 10 years, but would think the following are areas you might consider (some of wich you have mentioned already):
    Obesity in younger children.
    Sedentary lifestyles/lack of enthusiasm for physical activity
    Attitudes to activity in adolescent girls (self image etc).
    Continuing physical activity after leaving school (ie leaving altogether, not when the bell goes)
    Meeting the needs of the National Curriculum.
    Physical Education in Primary Schools/linkks with local secondary schools.
    Inclusion of children with Physical Challenges into mainstream lessons (not sure what the PC term is these days - it keeps changing)
    Mixed sex vs single sex lessons.
    Boys and Dance
    Girls and football/rugby in mixed lessons - facilitating success for all with wide ability ranges.
    Assessment in PE. How is this done with minimum disruption to teaching and learning.
    Using peer teaching and peer assessment in the 'classroom' (ie field/gym/pool)
    That's all I can think of for now.
    Over to you........